Menu

attn knwlegeable dog people

maybe you can help me out. i think my dog (JRT) had a seizure yesterday morning. She's about 15 (sort of a rescue so no one is really sure of her age but she isn't young). She was fine when i let her out, she came in happy as usual. i had my back to her and was getting them their food and when i turned around she was lying on her side and, from what i remember (because i was scared out of my wits) she wasn't moving. I bent down and yelled her name and kind of pushed her, then she starting moving but not like shaking like having a seizure (I've only seen people have them and not often) she was still on her side shaking (for lack of a better word) and then she started barking..i was still yelling her name and lightly pushing her (remember, i was terrified she was going to die) then she pooped, all while still on her side. then she got up, looked dazed and jsut stood there for a few seconds (all of this happened in less than 25 seconds). i took her to work with me (praise the Lord for an understanding boss). so i'm thinking it was a seizure but i can't be sure. i'm not in the position right now to take her to the vet because the night before this happened one of our horses got kicked so i had to have an emergency vet call to stitch him up, which cost me alot of money. I'm thinking that if i took her to the vet they would want to do invasive tests and put her on medication or they would say to watch her to see if it happens again. from what i've been told/have read, this can happen in older dogs. any input? please don't flame me for not taking her to the vet...in a perfect world, i would do that but "I" don't live in a perfect world and right now i don't have a few hundred extra dollars. if the horse hadn't needed stitches it would be a different story.

It sounds like a seizure, but I also wonder if it could've been some sort of stroke.

Honestly, at her age I doubt a vet would do a lot of testing unless you pushed for it. IME vets don't medicate for seizures until the pet has several of them within a specific time period.

But FWIW (and I realize you didn't ask), for a 15 yo dog I would be much more concerned about quality of life than quantity. So if she were mine and acting okay today, I doubt I'd go running off to the vet. Of course everyone handles these things differently, but 15 is a great long life for a dog.

thank you pawz for not flaming me. my animals mean the world to me and to not be able to take her to the vet right now really bothers my heart but because of the horse, i just can't do it financially, the other reason is because i really don't think there is anything definitive the vet would/could do. Wow, so you think it may have been a stroke. oh my gosh the poor little thing. her quality of life is great. she's 15 but acts (most of the time) like she's a pup. she gets to sleep on the furniture, she goes for car rides every single day, goes to the barn every day and really does have the life of luxury. she didn't have the best life growing up so we're making it up to her (and her daughter who we also have) because they deserve it. they are great dogs.

Honestly, there isn't much a vet could do. Some blood work to look at liver values, as liver problems sometimes cause seizures, but that's it. And they wouldn't do meds without a pattern of seizures. However, the other concern is syncope..aka fainting, from a heart problem. JRT are prone to congestive heart failure, so they would listen for a murmur, etc. There are meds for heart failure that are very helpful and not very expensive. So I'd schedule a trip as soon as you can, but there is no huge deal with going today.

Any exercise intolerance? Coughing?

thank you ktgrok....no exercise intolerance as far as i know...she does get tired easily but i think it's because of her age. this sounds gross but....after she goes poo....she will run around 100 mph for a couple of minutes because she feels so good! We always say "gabby had a good poop becasue look at her go!" she really does act like a younger dog except for the fact that her energy doesn't last as long as a younger dog oh and no coughing at all