Menu

How to teach a child to listen?

I need some tips for my nearly 5 y/o. He is a major chatterbox, I love that he has lots to say, but sadly he just does not listen. He talks over people, interrupts, does not hear when he is asked to do something or is corrected...he just doesn't listen. It is impossible to get him to focus on anything b/c he just talks and talks and talks...

We've been having some behavioral issues this past year, but nothing seems to be working (probably b/c he doesn't hear me when I try to discipline). Help! :confused:

I need some tips for my nearly 5 y/o. He is a major chatterbox, I love that he has lots to say, but sadly he just does not listen. He talks over people, interrupts, does not hear when he is asked to do something or is corrected...he just doesn't listen. It is impossible to get him to focus on anything b/c he just talks and talks and talks...

We've been having some behavioral issues this past year, but nothing seems to be working (probably b/c he doesn't hear me when I try to discipline). Help! :confused:

Talking over or interrupting- hold up one finger and say "Don't interrupt, I'm talking right now" and if you are talking to him, add "You need to listen. It's my turn to talk."

When you tell him something, take his hands, or gently cup his face in your hands, make him make eye contact, and say "Sam, I need you to listen." Then tell him what you want, and have him repeat the instructions.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Over and over, for years! I have 2 like that. Just keep plugging away, and maybe by the time he is 18 he'll get it. :grouphug:

What did you say again???

I have this problem here! I have tried many things. Some work for a while. Mostly I am just frustrated.

The thing is, they do hear. It's one thing to hear and another to respond. If I'm being ignored and I say "x consequence is going to happen if I have to repeat myself," magically they not only heard, but remembered what I said. They just didn't think it deserved a reaction. :glare:

My eldest has some problems in school because of poor listening skills. I have her doing some therapy for retained primitive reflexes. I have no idea whether this is actually going to work.

Would love to hear of some innovative ideas. Imagine, only having to say things once! What would I do with myself the other 75% of the time?

you've mentioned several different issues. there are some things you can do.

thing number one (because its fun): get a learning game where there are sounds on a cd and the kids have to listen and tell you what they hear. we had one that had a bingo board, and they covered the items with a penny when they heard the sound. if you could find one for hallowe'en, that could be really fun.

something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Listening-Lotto-CARSON-DELLOSA-Catalog-Category/dp/B008BV5OXS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1347310774&sr=8-16&keywords=listening+games

thing number two (because its fun, too): put chocolate kisses or another favourite kind of candy in your pocket. when someone comes when they are called the first time, or answers you the first time you speak, hand out a candy to them and tell them its because they came/answered the first time. don't do it every time, but fairly often that first morning. by the end of the morning, dd5 should be trying really hard to get a candy.

thing number three: a talking stick. start school each morning with a circle. if you have a theme of the week, talk about it, do fingerplays, etc. ask an open-ended question, and teach them that only the person holding the talking stick can talk.

thing number four: teach how to listen with your eyes and your body. actually teach how to make eye contact with the person who is speaking, how to move your body slightly forward when you would like to speak, but not to speak until the other person finishes speaking.

thing number five: play a mirror game with him. have him play it with a sibling to. (where the two people face one another and one is the actor and one is the mirror. you move one hand slowly and the mirror should copy you. this is played without speaking).

thing number six: play reflected listening skills game with him. you say something, and he has to parrot back, "you said:.....". next, he tries to paraphrase it. this will go from "you said you are angry because johnny ate forty cookies. you are worried he will get sick". to "you are worried johnny will get sick because he disobeyed you and ate forty cookies".

these all teach skills that will help him lifelong, and will help you and the other kids, too.

he's lucky to have you!

ann

you've mentioned several different issues. there are some things you can do.

thing number one (because its fun): get a learning game where there are sounds on a cd and the kids have to listen and tell you what they hear. we had one that had a bingo board, and they covered the items with a penny when they heard the sound. if you could find one for hallowe'en, that could be really fun.

something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Listening-Lotto-CARSON-DELLOSA-Catalog-Category/dp/B008BV5OXS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1347310774&sr=8-16&keywords=listening+games

thing number two (because its fun, too): put chocolate kisses or another favourite kind of candy in your pocket. when someone comes when they are called the first time, or answers you the first time you speak, hand out a candy to them and tell them its because they came/answered the first time. don't do it every time, but fairly often that first morning. by the end of the morning, dd5 should be trying really hard to get a candy.

thing number three: a talking stick. start school each morning with a circle. if you have a theme of the week, talk about it, do fingerplays, etc. ask an open-ended question, and teach them that only the person holding the talking stick can talk.

thing number four: teach how to listen with your eyes and your body. actually teach how to make eye contact with the person who is speaking, how to move your body slightly forward when you would like to speak, but not to speak until the other person finishes speaking.

thing number five: play a mirror game with him. have him play it with a sibling to. (where the two people face one another and one is the actor and one is the mirror. you move one hand slowly and the mirror should copy you. this is played without speaking).

thing number six: play reflected listening skills game with him. you say something, and he has to parrot back, "you said:.....". next, he tries to paraphrase it. this will go from "you said you are angry because johnny ate forty cookies. you are worried he will get sick". to "you are worried johnny will get sick because he disobeyed you and ate forty cookies".

these all teach skills that will help him lifelong, and will help you and the other kids, too.

he's lucky to have you!

ann

Ooh, I love these ideas. Thank you!!! :001_smile:

I love those ideas too! You think they might work at 8.5 :tongue_smilie:

I've got a kiddo like that OP. Unlike one person's kid though mine really, truly doesn't hear. But I think he has a huge dose of ADHD with a chatter personality. I have noticed he's gotten a bit better as he ages.