Menu

What Math program or programs would you suggest for this kid?

Currently my 9.5 yr old is doing MUS. We stopped last year because it was really causing him stress and he said it bored him to tears. We just started school last week and I started him back in Beta. Mind you he does have mild dyslexia-dysgraphia. He said it was boring but was able to do the work today and got every problem correct.

I had my whiteboard out and he asked if he could do something on it. Well low and behind he starts making shapes, graphs, circles etc and began to start talking about radius and how to get the radius. He began to make bar graphs and showing how he thought his savings account was going to grow each year etc. Are there any math curriculums that would present different math problems like this? Maybe I could still keep MUS and just add to it?

Kitchen Table Math? I really liked the looks of that series when I previewed it at our support group's curriculum fair last spring. If I didn't already have a whole shelf worth of math programs (Singapore, MM, the first 3 levels of Right Start, Horizons Pre-Algebra, LoF, Zaccaro, etc.) I would totally get it.

Right Start Geometry might be something he'd really like when he's ready for it.

MUS Beta does seem like it would be boring for age 9.5 --can you accelerate him through it to gamma or delta level? We left MUS for other things because ds was bored, but have returned to it because it worked. It is nice not to have grade levels on the material to not make a child feel like they are not at grade level, but Beta is generally about 2nd grade level. Another thing I found that acclerates through (but turned out to be too much accelerated for us and ds needed more practice pages) was Essential Math Skills by Richard Fisher.

Otherwise, it seems like your ds might do well working just as he is, with whiteboard etc. How did he learn about graphs and radius and such? Something you already have or that he has seen must have taught him something about these things. You also might want to look at what is available on Khan Academy, math and maybe even economics.

Right Start Geometry might be something he'd really like when he's ready for it.

I was thinking the same thing.

It sounds like he can get concepts, but maybe has trouble with calculations? That's my girl, anyway - absolutely hated math and did poorly in it, until last year. And it sounds like your DS got excited when it came to talking about his savings account? We were just doing factorization and DD kept flubbing because at 9.5 she still doesn't know her multiplication facts - we've tried lots for this, still working at it - BUT, when I gave her some math riddles to solve which involved factorizing and finding common multiples she dug right in and even got the answers right! The difference? She likes riddles, so the work was meaningful to her. She still had to use a multiplication chart to help her, but she knows HOW to do it and she did it. We are using Singapore, BTW. Oh, and DD really likes LoF too. Perhaps they are worth a try for your DS?

Edited by Targhee