Menu

Are there any alternatives to the A Case of Red Herrings series?

melmac

No offense to anyone who loves them, but I honestly don't see the logic in them. I just received A1 today and am terribly confused as to how a 10 year old child could make any sense of the activities, even I don't get it.

Are there any alternatives that are geared towards something that might make sense?

Imo, the Stories to Solve books (by George Shannon and Peter Sis) are similar to the intent of the Red Herrings books, and the Stories make a little more sense. Our library had these & we would read a few during lunch every once in awhile. We really enjoyed them & I think you end up getting the practice at 'tricky' thinking, lol.

We've used Fallacy Detective, but I wouldn't start it with a 10-yr-old. Even my very bright, very eager ds used it at 11 and it was fine at that point. While some of the fallacies are easy to spot, others are a bit tricky and really require higher level analysis. I'm going to have my 11-yr-old start with Thinking Toolbox and then move onto Fallacy Detective in the spring.

At 10 years old, we've used Building Thinking Skills and Dandylion logic. I like the books and at least one of my kids really needed more to fill in his day (that eager ds). At this point in my life, though, I'm trying to concentrate on more fundamentals during the elementary years -- math, latin, writing, math games, reading, math extras, reading -- so that the child is ready for logic in 7th or 8th.

HTH,

Lisa