Menu

Explode the Code Online???

mommagruber

We used it a couple of years ago, and I would call it just okay. If I remember right, some of the illustrations were confusing, and dd thought it was just kind of goofy. They may have made some improvements by now. I would have to check. We actually dropped it part way through the year and went with the print version, which we liked much better. I like the handwriting practice for ds, so it works better for us anyway.

I took advantage of the co-op pricing, but now wish I hadn't. We use logic of English and I use explode the code online sometimes as a supplement, only because I paid for it. The online system works by awarding buttons for correct answers, but it also weighs heavily on how quick the student answers. I couldn't figure out why it looked like my daughter was doing so poorly. Fact was when she got distracted she wasnt pausing it, and it also takes her longer to get her laptop mouse moved around than a regular pc mouse.

The speed timing is probably my biggest complaint, but I also dont really care for timing anything because I think it's extra unnecessary pressure on a kid which results in wrong answers because they are trying to hurry. Especially in language arts. Math facts maybe, but not reading and spelling.

Hope that helps!

Nicole

We didn't like it. My ds figured out how to cheat the system pretty quickly. He didn't want to read the sentences/questions so he'd go through once memorizing the correct answers they would give him and then he'd go back through and click on all the right answers.

Also as pp said the timing thing is ridiculous. When my ds wasn't cheating the system he was trying so hard to get one of the best buttons (a paper airplane I think?). He was so excited when he finally got 100% right and he still didn't get one just because he wasn't quick enough! So I started going through and even I couldn't do them fast enough to get an airplane button.

I took advantage of the co-op pricing, but now wish I hadn't. We use logic of English and I use explode the code online sometimes as a supplement, only because I paid for it. The online system works by awarding buttons for correct answers, but it also weighs heavily on how quick the student answers. I couldn't figure out why it looked like my daughter was doing so poorly. Fact was when she got distracted she wasnt pausing it, and it also takes her longer to get her laptop mouse moved around than a regular pc mouse.

The speed timing is probably my biggest complaint, but I also dont really care for timing anything because I think it's extra unnecessary pressure on a kid which results in wrong answers because they are trying to hurry. ...

:iagree: My DS didn't like Explode the Code online one single bit. The site loaded really slow for us, which just added to his frustration. I didn't like timed lessons either.

I don't recommend Explode the Code online, but I do recommend Reading Eggs.

dd doesn't mind doing it but I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription. Like pp, it's near impossible to answer as fast as the program demands in order to get a perfect airplane (frustrates dd ... perfectionist;)). The pictures have been confusing at times and there are some glitches (tells her the answer is wrong when it is actually right:001_huh:)

The program did help her with her reading skills but I would say it's just okay.

It was a total waste of money for us. We seemed to always be on the same level; it was always the same thing over and over and over and over....it's like it never advanced for us. It also froze up all the time and often the speaking was either ahead or behind whatever pictures they were showing. The timing part was horrible because it caused immediate anxiety for dd to do the best she could to get the little critters (butterflies or whatever they were). I had to turn the ticking clock off because it just flustered her. Then when she didn't get good enough results and would earn a caterpillar instead of a butterfly (or something like that...it's been awhile) she would be upset. We finally just quit it. I like the books though.