Menu

Please help me calm down in regards to math

MommaofBoys

The Actor just finished Saxon 6/5. At this rate (two books a year), we're going to get into math I don't remember and maybe math I never did within the next three years. Since the Scientist is hard on his heels, and is much faster at doing as well as enjoys doing math, I think I'm in trouble. I only took one semester of calculus in college, and barely passed it. I certainly don't remember anything--or much trig. I took more math than DH, so I can't appeal to him to teach it. State rules say children can duel enroll at University in 9th grade--that's five years away. What do you do when your children get ahead of you? These children are so much smarter than I am. (Don't tell them I said so, though: they haven't developed common sense to go with it yet.)

The Actor just finished Saxon 6/5. At this rate (two books a year), we're going to get into math I don't remember and maybe math I never did within the next three years. Since the Scientist is hard on his heels, and is much faster at doing as well as enjoys doing math, I think I'm in trouble. I only took one semester of calculus in college, and barely passed it. I certainly don't remember anything--or much trig. I took more math than DH, so I can't appeal to him to teach it. State rules say children can duel enroll at University in 9th grade--that's five years away. What do you do when your children get ahead of you? These children are so much smarter than I am. (Don't tell them I said so, though: they haven't developed common sense to go with it yet.)

I've never used Saxon but my personal experience so far is that high school math gets challenging enough to help kids go a little more slowly than the arithmetic/ pre-alg years. Is it possible to use a tutor or outside mentor of some sort?

Derek Owens has been a life-saver for me. Ds started algebra 1 before he turned ten, and I was feeling some of the same panic you are. :) We started with Mr. Owens' Honors Geometry the next year, and it's been great. I'm not sure what we'll do after AP Calculus, but at least it will hold us 'til then! :)

Really, I can't say enough great things about Derek and his classes. Ds has also taken his Physical Science and Physics classes.

I would recommend switching your student to Art of Problem Solving. This is a great program for mathematically gifted kids, broader in scope and much deeper than all traditional curricula. This would have several advantages:

1. It will inevitably slow down your student, because it covers so much more material in so much more depth.

2. the books are written TO the student and do not require an instructor; together with the solution manual it can be used for independent study very well.

3. There are online courses available through AoPS.

4. The series contains books on topics that are not usually included in the school math. You can spend some time on Counting and Probability or Number theory and broaden math knowledge (and as a nice side effect, this slows down the race to cclculus).

If your student finished Saxon 6/5, he may be ready fro the preaglebra book - check it out.

Edited by regentrude

I've got those children too. At some point you have to farm them out to instructors who do know the topics well for those topics. This started with my daughter in grade school (she is a Latin whiz...in Latin 303 now at a University, even though she turned 16 recently). Son passed me up in math last year, really (but spouse is a math geek, so that helps). There are online classes as well.

I appreciate the replies. We're sticking with Saxon, at least in the short term--no two ways about that: we already own through Algebra II from when I was a kid and since DH was laid off, we're not buying anything. (Music lessons are as much as we can handle, and they got a scholarship for swim.) I'm glad to hear they'll likely slow down. I hope a tutor will be an option in a few years, there are probably suitable grad students out there. The boys mostly self-teach Saxon. I always thought that was one of the better features myself, didn't have to have a parent sitting with me. (Silly teen that I was.) Of course I'm around for questions, but those usually end up being more of the "Where's my compass?" sort.

you don't think you know a lot of math but you are the parent and have the best instincts for your kids. so have faith in your gifts. as a professional math geek, i would also suggest considering upgrading from saxon at some point. i.e. your kids are strong at math and saxon is for average/weak math students.