Menu

K12 Human Odyssey - Q's

Hi all,

We are starting our history cycle again with Ancients (Logic Stage) so I'm considering using K12's human odyssey vol 1. I've read many posts of people really loving these books.

Can you tell me how you are using it? Like after reading a few pages, do dc outline? or narrate? any comprehension questions? (My dc will be in 5th & 4th)

Thanks so much!

Hi all,

We are starting our history cycle again with Ancients (Logic Stage) so I'm considering using K12's human odyssey vol 1. I've read many posts of people really loving these books.

Can you tell me how you are using it? Like after reading a few pages, do dc outline? or narrate? any comprehension questions? (My dc will be in 5th & 4th)

Thanks so much!

We like it! Ds reads, picks an interesting area, writes a narration or outline. We add to the time line and to his wtm history notebook. We read oxford ancient history too, and listen to read aluds.

My daughter did/does not narrate nor outline the books. She reads the section and then we discuss what she has read. Sometimes we'll pull out the atlas, search online for additional information, read another book, follow a rabbit trail. She enjoys the discussions and the searching; she hated narrations.

I find that it is very easy to check her comprehension during our discussions ;)

This year she is working on note-taking from the text (volume 3). She is creating her own form of notes as a traditional outline is too rigid for her. The difficulty of writing assignments has increased this year, with much more synthesis involved.

We just finished our first week using K12 Human Odyssey, and I've heard many positive comments from my children.

For my older two I purchased the student pages, and we did use selected pages this week. Other times I plan to have them write summaries and the WTM recommended level outlines. It will depend on the section. I take it one week at a time.

We are combining it with Mapping the World with Art - which we love. By drawing the maps rather than labeling maps, they seem to understand it better.

We've just started, and I'm using it with all four of my older boys. So far, so good!

I'm still feeling my way a bit, but for now we're using it twice a week, then doing an activity or watching a movie or documentary on Friday. I'm just reading and discussing it with my 3rd grader. My 4th, 6th and 8th graders are reading, outlining and keeping notebooks. As the year goes on, I'll hopefully figure out some more interesting assignments. :)

Bought it on a whim and I may have to let it go. It's a WONDERFUL book and I really enjoy it, but my dd's writing skills aren't up to par enough for her to get what she needs out of the book without enrolling in the full course. I would hate for a content subject to suffer because a basic skill is a bit behind. Looks like we may need to replace it with Mills' books that come with a study guide :tongue_smilie:.

Thank you everyone for your great ideas -

I think I will use K12 HO w/Mapping the World with Art (someone recommended it) and maybe Kingfisher, oral discussion & written summaries.

I had a question - someone posted that HO is not in chronological order and a little confusing. Did you all find this to be true? Did you rearrange the chapters so they would be in chrono. order??

Thanks again for the advice.