Menu

Dd reading John Holt for her college comp; my educational circle of life is complete

"How Teachers Make Children Hate Reading".

Her comment -- "I didn't recognize any of the stuff he was complaining about, that the public schools did wrong. But everything he recommended as the better way to do it . . . well, that was basically what I remember from elementary years."

My response -- "Yeah, well, I read a lot of John Holt when you were a toddler. Teach Your Own and Growing Without Schooling were pretty much the basis for my educational philosophy, later I balanced it with The Well Trained Mind . . . In fact, I started reading Holt when my faculty advisor . . . at the college you are at now . . . told me that my ideas for education were 'admirable; but too idealistic to be effective'. I'm pretty sure his point was to make us mad enough to go out and try to change the education system."

Her reply -- "That is so awesome. I can't wait to tell my English teacher. She's going to love this."

Oh, I really like "Teach Your Own" and if you can get your hands on back issues of "Growing Without Schooling" (or maybe it's still published, I don't know!). But really, I like everything of his I've read. I was influenced by Holt and Moore during dd's very early years . . . I was introduced to The Well Trained Mind when she was in about third grade and ended up with a blend of ideas that worked well for us.

I went and looked at my college transcript -- sure enough, it was not only the same college, but the exact same CLASS. Eng 102, Intermediate Comp.

I hope her professor gets a kick out of this -- her student (who entered college a year early on academic scholarship) is the product of homeschooling, inspired by her predecessor who (probably quite intentionally) challenged his student to prove him wrong. I love it.

Oh, I really like "Teach Your Own" and if you can get your hands on back issues of "Growing Without Schooling" (or maybe it's still published, I don't know!). But really, I like everything of his I've read. I was influenced by Holt and Moore during dd's very early years . . . I was introduced to The Well Trained Mind when she was in about third grade and ended up with a blend of ideas that worked well for us.

I went and looked at my college transcript -- sure enough, it was not only the same college, but the exact same CLASS. Eng 102, Intermediate Comp.

I hope her professor gets a kick out of this -- her student (who entered college a year early on academic scholarship) is the product of homeschooling, inspired by her predecessor who (probably quite intentionally) challenged his student to prove him wrong. I love it.

Cool. Ordered "Teach Your Own", but "Growing Without Schooling" is almost $25 on Amazon, so I'll hold off on that! LOL I also found the essay you mentioned in your OP. Yay!

• 2 years later...