Menu

Prince William County, Stafford VA......Plan a Picnic?

Someone on another thread mentioned living in Woodbridge and suggested a day at the park for those of us who live in the Northern VA area......

If you are serious and would like to do this let me know......

It would be fun to meet and and a day for some support and making new friends.

We could plan it as a picnic and call it a nature study and PE.

It's open to anyone in VA....or at least any who would like to drive this far....

:001_smile:

Locust Shade (near Quantico) has lots of shade. It's small and a bit close to 95 - you can see the highway through the trees!, but it's got lots of trees and SHADE. Man, can you tell I'm tired of the heat?

I'm up for anywhere in PWC. I'm sure there are other parks in the area, but I haven't been to them in years.

Looking forward to meeting you all. I've finally perfected my potato salad and I need to share it!

K

Great!!! Monday's and Wednesday's are bad for me.

Any other day is perfect. If you would like to pm me on the days that are good we can set up a time.

Locust Shade would be perfect.

Chris...it would be easy for you to hit 95 and get off at the Triangle/Quantico Exit. Turn right and it's about 2 maybe 3 miles on your right.

Locust Shade has lots of play grounds plus the miniature golf. We have gone down to the amphitheatre and played also.

If everyone's schedule is open...I would go with a Tuesday or Thursday. Friday's are too bad what with the summer traffic around here.

The Marine Corps Museum is right by the park so if we need to go somewhere and cool off we could walk through the museum.

There is also the Prince William National Forest Park and Leeslyvania State Park but both have a $4.00 entrance fee.

I'm so excited......If you have anther friend who homeschools but isn't on the board....bring them along....they might just need the encouragement and the fun of getting together.

:lurk5: I'm watching your posts with interest because we're in Warrenton. Not TOO far away, but I'm not sure that we can make it. But if y'all settle on a day/time that works for us, we'd love to participate. I do have littles, though: nearly 6 and nearly 4.... :001_smile:

Layla McB

That would work for me.....Picnic lunch? I want to try the potato salad...:lol:

Warrenton isn't too bad.....We've gone to Warrenton driving 234 through Nokesville and Bealton.

Beautiful area up that way......I love the older houses in Warrenton.

Looking through the ages of all the children, we have such a wide variety little ones would fit right in.....:001_smile:

I will hold off penciling this onto my calendar until everyone says yay.......:D

I have a friend that I will be inviting....she is a 15 year veteran of homeschooling. Her older boys are all in college. Ages 24-19 but now she is back to homeschooling elementary ages.....10,8 and 4.

She would be a wonderful addition and could use the encouragement right now.....

That would work for me.....Picnic lunch? I want to try the potato salad...:lol:

Warrenton isn't too bad.....We've gone to Warrenton driving 234 through Nokesville and Bealton.

Beautiful area up that way......I love the older houses in Warrenton.

Looking through the ages of all the children, we have such a wide variety little ones would fit right in.....:001_smile:

I will hold off penciling this onto my calendar until everyone says yay.......:D

You can PM me if you need to.

K

Can I come? We're in Falls Church but I'm ok with driving....any excuse to stop by Ikea works for me. :)

Tuesdays and Thursdays work for me. I'll PM you too so you can send me the date. I have little guys (4 1/2 and 21 months).

Anyone who wants to come is welcome.....even if you live in Charlottesville or PA.

We have a keen understanding of traffic here so an hour to two hour drive around here is nothing......:auto:. It's just nice if you can actually get somewhere......:lol:

We can always plan an IKEA play date for later.......that could be another meeting place.....:lol: Always glad to have an excuse to go to IKEA..

I know we at least have potato salad coming.....:D

Now I am really getting excited...WooHoo!!!!

I would keep it simple.....I wouldn't want anyone discouraged over food.

We can either bring our own bag lunch or bring your own sandwich and drinks and if any would like to bring sides, I would suggest something along the following.....

BYOS/D

Sides: Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Chips, Cold veggies w/ dip (whatever you would like. I personally wouldn't mind two dif salads. Everyone makes theirs differently. Always fun to try other's cooking.)

Dessert: 2 Watermelon's cut up. (I suggest the melon because after the kids have played it would be something that is cool,wet and refreshing.)

We could each bring our own plastic and paper products.

I will let the majority decide which way you would like to do this.....

For those who want to play miniature golf...it is $3.00/person.

**If we decide on sides....please make note if you have a food allergy we need to be aware of......mine is only to MSG and cayenne pepper. I eat it anyway...I just drink my benedryl.....:lol:

That's why my family nicknamed me "DW"....and it isn't from Arthur...it stands for "Death Wish.":D

I don't want anyone stressing. This is supposed to be for fun....if you can't bring anything...don't let that keep you from coming.....

Okay Ladies......

Next Tuesday, July 22nd.

Time: 12:00

Place: Locust Shade Park.

We have a volunteer for veggies....Kathleen.

K...potato salad.

Anyone or two want to do a watermelon or chips?

Bummer! My mother's flying in from the West Coast, and we'll be picking her up that morning. I think she might be put out if I ask her to wait at Dulles for a bit until we get back from a picnic. ;) Hope to catch you all next time!

Layla McB

You could always pick her up and drag her to the picnic....:D I bet she wouldn't mind......JK

We'll have to plan another one...hopefully everyone will have fun.

By all means ....you should come.:iagree:

Not sure where you live...but there are two Aldi's in Woodbridge. One is located on 123 just before the Occaquan Bridge.

The other is located in the shopping center off Smoketown Plaza by the Lowes.

We like that one because we can hit CiCi's Pizza then I can shop.

Bummer about the date.......

Ok, we're in! I'll bring some chips to balance out the healthy veggies and watermelon. Someone's gotta take the low road, right?

I may bring a friend who doesn't frequent these boards but is a new homeschooler (like me with a little one) and I think she'd enjoy the support and fellowship.

Also, I've never been to this park, will it be obvious where we meet? I'm imagining a big park and me wandering around lost with my bag of chips while elsewhere WTM hilarity is going on without us. :)

Ok, we're in! I'll bring some chips to balance out the healthy veggies and watermelon. Someone's gotta take the low road, right?

I may bring a friend who doesn't frequent these boards but is a new homeschooler (like me with a little one) and I think she'd enjoy the support and fellowship.

Also, I've never been to this park, will it be obvious where we meet? I'm imagining a big park and me wandering around lost with my bag of chips while elsewhere WTM hilarity is going on without us. :)

It's basically a road that loops around for about 1.5 miles through a wooded area. On the outside of the loop are the batting cage, putt-putt, playgrounds, picnic areas, an 8 acre man-made lake (adjacent to I-95, how's that for tranquil?) and lots of trees.

The 3 picnic areas are named after flowers and I can't remember or get their webpage to load up. The golf shop is on the left as you enter the park. Perhaps we could all meet there?

I will try to get a map up.

K

Yes!! I need to check out Aldi's anyway, and the closest one is in Warrenton. I was wavering on spending the gas to go there. But if there's a social activity vital to my children's welfare involved ... ;-)

OK, I've lived in VA all my life--what's Aldi's? By the way, welcome to VA, Mama Lynx! :001_smile:

Layla McB

It's basically a road that loops around for about 1.5 miles through a wooded area. On the outside of the loop are the batting cage' date=' putt-putt, playgrounds, picnic areas, an 8 acre man-made lake (adjacent to I-95, how's that for tranquil?) and lots of trees.

The 3 picnic areas are named after flowers and I can't remember or get their webpage to load up. The golf shop is on the left as you enter the park. Perhaps we could all meet there?

I will try to get a map up.

K[/quote']

Don't worry about putting up a map. I can look it up. I looked at the website and it looks nice. I'm pretty good with finding stuff but I just wanted to make sure it's not a huge place. I'm ok with meeting at the golf shop if others want to do that...or I can just look for a big group. I know Chris in VA so I can look for her. :D

I'd like to come but my little kids are in camp that day and my older kids will have no interest in attending a picnic with me. Also, I hate to drive on 95 (I think I have a phobia). But, gosh, I'd like to meet you all. How can I swing this? Is there a way to get to the park avoiding 95? Like taking 123? I'm in Vienna VA.

I'd like to come but my little kids are in camp that day and my older kids will have no interest in attending a picnic with me. Also, I hate to drive on 95 (I think I have a phobia). But, gosh, I'd like to meet you all. How can I swing this? Is there a way to get to the park avoiding 95? Like taking 123? I'm in Vienna VA.

You can take 123 to Route 1 (woodbrige/occoquan area) and take route 1 all the way down through Triangle to the park. The entrance to the park is on Route 1, just past the Marine Corps Museum on the right.

If you can't make it, perhaps we can meet up in a park in the Fairfax/Burke area (northwestern) vs. Triangle (southeast) in the fall. I'd love to meet you and welcome MamaLynx to the area.

K

So, is it settled? Is the 22nd the day?

If so, can we do another one soon, on a different day? :D

Stephanie,

As far as I know, yes it is the 22nd, although I'm still flexible on that, personally.

And, yes, we can do it another time soon on a different day.

Anyone else have some input?

The 22nd is fine unless the majority want to change it to another day to fit in the Ladies who won't be able to make it.

That is fine with me....we are pretty easy around here.....

I definitely think another one should be planned.....I think this will be fun!!!

If the ladies who are going to have to miss next week could say what would work after next week....we could post pone.....

It's really up to y'all!!

We can have next weeks and plan another one in say 3 weeks to fit everyone in....?

Or wait two more weeks......

I just feel really bad that I suggested it and several of you will be missing the first one......

I think y'all should go ahead with the 22nd, and then let's do another one a little farther north and/or west. Does that work? It doesn't have to be WAY up north...even Manassas is more accessible for those of us north/west of PW Co. Hey! Maybe Bull Run next time?

There are several LCC'ers in the area; could I invite them, too, to a future get-together? :)

Layla McB

I think y'all should go ahead with the 22nd, and then let's do another one a little farther north and/or west. Does that work? It doesn't have to be WAY up north...even Manassas is more accessible for those of us north/west of PW Co. Hey! Maybe Bull Run next time?

There are several LCC'ers in the area; could I invite them, too, to a future get-together? :)

Layla McB

A little north and west would work well for me. So yeah, y'all go ahead with the 22nd, and let's plan another. Invite the LCC'ers!!!

Oh sure!!! I move away and THEN everyone decide's to get together!!!:rolleyes:

I see how it is..."The party starts when Shenan moves!":toetap05::leaving:

Have fun without me...Really..I'll be alright..sniff.sniff.:nopity::crying:

sniff.sniff......Waaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

:crying::(:crying:

You're invited, too, Shenan. Bring your RV and camp out at my house, unless you've sold it already. Maybe I could talk dh into buying it - I could stick the big boys out there and get some breathing room :). It's certainly cheaper than an addition.

Layla McB

How would you like to plan the next one for us.....:D . I'm not that familiar with the parks and such further North. Would the middle of August sometime be good? I know one is going on vacation....

I "just" found the part of the board where we post the "Networking". I guess this should have really gone in that section.....:001_smile:.

Would you like to do the next one.....?

I'm sorry...I just joined the board.....if I'd only known....but I am planning a trip through WV....I could always stop by and wave HI....:001_smile:

Tuesday.....I'm not sure the ages of everyone's children but mine are 14 soon to be 15 in Nov (Colleen), Charlie 12 (13 in Oct.) Robbie was 11 in May. They want to bring our new rocket launcher....soooooo we can have a science lesson too.......

I was thinking of bringing name tags...I am bad with names. I will also have my camera so we will have memories.....

I will also be bringing a couple of coolers with ice and water, another watermelon, and some homemade cookies.....choc chip okay with everyone?

Kathleen is bringing veggies. K for potato salad. Cami is also bringing watermelon. Alice is bringing chips.

We are meeting at the golf shop.

If one of the other Ladies would like to start planning the more northerly get together.

Post some dates in the networking section for everyone to look at.

Oh...and what are LCC'ers? Pardon my ignorance on that one....:lol:

Cool! I will invite the LCC'ers for the next get-together in a more northerly and/or westerly direction, whenever that may be. I hope I don't miss the post; this board moves sooo fast! :001_smile:

Burke Lake Park

http://www.virginia.org/site/description.asp?attrID=25172

Someone mentioned rockets and I was reminded of a really fun time our family had at Burke Lake Park w/ stomp rockets.

Burke Lake Park is on Rt 123/Ox road about 20 minutes from Vienna.

hth,

K

Burke Lake Park

http://www.virginia.org/site/description.asp?attrID=25172

Someone mentioned rockets and I was reminded of a really fun time our family had at Burke Lake Park w/ stomp rockets.

Burke Lake Park is on Rt 123/Ox road about 20 minutes from Vienna.

hth' date='

K[/quote']

Memories [cue sappy music here...]... I grew up JUST down the road from BLP in West Springfield. Great place! :) Did you see that Burke came out as one of the top small towns to live in in the latest Money magazine?? Honestly, I never thought of it as a town, per se....

But unfortunately, that's a HAUL for us Western folks, because of the traffic patterns. :001_huh: Something like Manassas (Bull Run? Anyone interested in a short hike or the Civil War?) or Centreville or even Reston or Herndon or Leesburg or Tysons Corner is much easier for us to get to. The thing is that we have to fight so much traffic to go east. I'm trying to think of something pretty like BLP that's just a bit farther west or north....

Oh! And LCC is Latin-Centered Curriculum--more traditional classical home education. Still kindred spirits, though! :)