Menu

Classically Catholic Memory

AimeeM

I purchased the complete set. It's here... staring at me from the shelf :glare:.

I'm a bit disappointed in the teacher's manual; there doesn't seem to be much to it but a few pages other than a copy of the student text.

How do I best implement and present this? I had *hoped* this would be a bit more straightforward; instead it seems to have nicely broken up the memory work, but I'm finding little hand holding for how to present and gain retention.

We use elements of CC Memory in our co-op. We spend 2 weeks on each unit. Last year we mostly reviewed memory work during morning snack time and listened to the CD in the car. So we spent 15-20 minutes 3-4 times a week plus co-op day. My sons were 5 and 3 so I couldn't do much in the way of reading and writing. With an 11 year old, you could do much more using it as copy work and such. Include the 3 year old too - it's amazing how much they can pick up just by being around. we're musically inclined and found it easier to learn the Latin by singing the chants.

Doing it with a co-op is easier than I imagine it would be to do it by yourself at home. Even if you had one other family to meet with once very 2 weeks to present the materials together , that would be nice. Otherwise, if by yourself, it might work to make a schedule for yourself - I.e. Monday: Latin and Catechesis, Tuesday: math and poetry, Wednesday: Science and history, etc. Present everything one week and have much of it posted on the walls or in a binder for review. Then spend the 2nd week reviewing everything.

Just some ideas. I think it's a wonderful collection of memory work!

I purchased the complete set. It's here... staring at me from the shelf :glare:.

I'm a bit disappointed in the teacher's manual; there doesn't seem to be much to it but a few pages other than a copy of the student text.

We are part of a co-op that uses Classically Catholic Memory materials.

We just started our second year.

The beginning of the teacher text has instructions on how to present the material for each subject. Some of the activities are geared towards a group environment. However, they can be easily scaled down for just a family.

History: On each history page in the teacher text there is extra info about the history passage and a reference to the timeline cards. Rather than pulling just those timeline cards, let your kids see those cards in the context of the whole timeline.

Science: Again there is more information in the teacher text to give context to the memory work. There are also suggested activities in the teacher text. Plus, the appendix has corresponding pictures to go with the memory work.

IHow do I best implement and present this? I had *hoped* this would be a bit more straightforward; instead it seems to have nicely broken up the memory work, but I'm finding little hand holding for how to present and gain retention.

Decide which subjects really matter to you and your kids. Then focus on those subjects. For example, I didn't see much value in having my kinder kid memorize all the skip counting. On the other hand, I like the timeline, so I'm having my 4th grader read the backs of the timeline cards.

Read the beginning of the teacher text for how to present the info.

Schedule a day and time for presenting each week's new info, every week, every other week, or whenever works for your school year. You can present all subjects on a single day, or introduce different subjects on different day.

Schedule time to review new and old material. A few minutes every day goes a long way. Don't wait until you've done a few weeks before trying to review. Build review into your schedule from the beginning. Repetition and review are important for memorizing the information long-term. We review by listening to the CD, re-reading the text, reciting, using flashcards, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Kuovonne

:lol: The reason you don't like it is the reason I LOVE it! Simple, no muss, no fuss, open and go.:)

For years, I've made my own lists of what to memorize and coordinated it and so forth. It's a pita at this point. And now I don't have to because CCM has done it for me.

I wrote on the 4RL board how I am implementing it. I have started with the Gamma level and we do one week as one week, tho it's an option to spread each week over a two week period. The memory work is used for their daily copy work in their personal composition books. We do art to go along with it from the Draw Write Now and Drawing through History series or whatever else strikes them. I use CCM as the base for our daily meeting session. Every day, I review or give a short lesson, maybe play a game, look over their work from previous day and let them know what I expect for the current day.

CCM is NOT a complete curriculum and they are clear it isn't intended to be one either. However, it's a great, fun, ready to go way of implementing the memory component of a classical/Charlotte mason program.

For example, we are already studying 4 Real Science chemistry and American history, so gamma level fits right in.

Feel free to let me know of other questions.

Or I'd take those other levels off your hands. I'm wanting to buy the rest, but money is too tight right now.:D

• 2 weeks later...
:lol: The reason you don't like it is the reason I LOVE it! Simple, no muss, no fuss, open and go.:)

.:D

I agree with Martha. I bought it over a year ago and never used it. Last week we began Alpha week one. After hardly doing anything more than listening to the CD's in the car, all 3 kids knew the entire set of memory work. On Mondays I'll spend some time going over the material, but it won't be anything in depth. We already have a solid grasp on Ancient History. We'll do two volumes this year.

LOVE IT.