Menu

Does this sound like a wisdom tooth?

The back lower part of my jaw on the right side hurts. The gums around the molars on that side feel swollen. Without taking a pain reliever consistently, the area is extremely painful and the pain extends towards my ear.

Eating causes some pain. Talking doesn't help much, but not much I can do about that. There's no room for another tooth to come up. I'm 30 but just got a wisdom tooth that came through less than 2 years ago.

No obvious sign of infections . Just not sure what it is or what I can do. We get dental insurance on Oct 1, but not sure I can live with the pain until then. Not sure if it's wise to anyway. ;)

Thanks for any thoughts!

When you move your jaw side to side, does it "click" or have extreme stiffness?

Could be TMJ - you can do exercises to help relax the jaw muscles - it makes a tremendous difference.

You might want to think about sleeping with a mouth guard, you might be grinding at night which would cause inflammation & swelling you feel the next day also.

A good set of x-rays will help you determine what's going on there, any chance you have a dentist in the area that would be willing to do *just* that and nothing more?

When you move your jaw side to side, does it "click" or have extreme stiffness?

Could be TMJ - you can do exercises to help relax the jaw muscles - it makes a tremendous difference.

You might want to think about sleeping with a mouth guard, you might be grinding at night which would cause inflammation & swelling you feel the next day also.

A good set of x-rays will help you determine what's going on there, any chance you have a dentist in the area that would be willing to do *just* that and nothing more?

I'll be calling around tomorrow, so maybe I can find one. No stiffness or clicking when I move my jaw side to side. I can try a mouthgaurd or exercises though. Thanks!

The back lower part of my jaw on the right side hurts. The gums around the molars on that side feel swollen. Without taking a pain reliever consistently, the area is extremely painful and the pain extends towards my ear.

Eating causes some pain. Talking doesn't help much, but not much I can do about that. There's no room for another tooth to come up. I'm 30 but just got a wisdom tooth that came through less than 2 years ago.

No obvious sign of infections . Just not sure what it is or what I can do. We get dental insurance on Oct 1, but not sure I can live with the pain until then. Not sure if it's wise to anyway. ;)

Thanks for any thoughts!

No, it sounds like infection to me, not a wisdom tooth coming in (if that is what you meant).