Menu

L.A.-what is YOUR scope & sequence for the whole 12?

Yolanda

I have a couple of books I could look through to see what the whole of LA is from 1st through 12th, to really see what it consists of, but I'd like to know what YOU think it is. Probably this question is for those BTDT moms who have graduated a few kiddos, but by all means, I'd love to hear from anyone.

I was just thinking how in math there is the basic +-x & (division) and then it goes into prealgebra, algebra etc. In science there is the basic routes we take as well and then later chemistry is added in etc. So, with that in mind, I think LA is probably similar. Basic grammar, spelling and then writing comes in.

After going the distance, what did you see is the whole of LA, in big chunks like I've mentioned. After writing, what did you do? And was writing mainly for writing papers in college or how has it aided your child who didn't go into college?

Thanks!

I'm a big 'picture person' and this would really do me good!!!

I have an end goal in mind that I envision for my children. I want them to

• be widely read. Have read major works of the cultural canon, thought about them, understood them in their historic context.
  • be able to understand literature. Be familiar with literary techniques and devices, see "how it is done". Be able to participate in an intelligent conversation about literature. (actually, be able to participate in any intelligent discussion, with well constructed arguments, presented with perfect grammar and semantics.)
  • have no fear of unfamiliar works in unfamiliar style. Should they, for whatever reason, be required to read the works of an obscure 17th century writer, they should not feel apprehensive.
  • have the reading skills to effectively read technical, non-fiction writing such as monographs and original scientific publications.
  • be able to communicate in writing in a variety of situations that may occur in life: letters (both formal and informal), emails, reports, articles, scientific publications, and yes, college papers and doctoral theses, if that should come up.
  • be able to give oral presentations in front of an audience, speaking freely and engagingly about a variety of topics
  • enjoy language, find pleasure in beautiful sentences and poetry, appreciate plays.

In order to get there, they must first learn to read, spell and use the language with correct grammar and semantics. This is the goal for the grammar stage.

Next, they should apply these basic language mechanics skills and read a lot of different books, increasing reading fluency, speed and comprehension, expand their vocabulary, begin to write different things. This is what we do for logic stage.

Lastly, they will study the major works of world literature in a systematic, chronological way. They will think more deeply about the things they read, study the historical background, learn about literary analysis. They will write longer and more complex papers about literature. They will learn to write research papers with multiple sources, using correct citation and being aware how to avoid plagiarism. They will construct logical arguments and write persuasive papers. This is what we do in the rhetoric stage.

I do not have a breakdown for individual years, or special curriculum. We progress from one skill level to the next as the kids improve and mature.

Edited by regentrude

I used Galore Park English from age 7 to 13 - when Calvin went to school. I can't talk about big chunks - it was a gradual spiralling through topics and development of skills.

If Calvin had stayed at home, he would have done Galore Park for another year, then he would have worked on literature studies for two years.

FWIW, Britain does mixed maths and simultaneous science. The 'big chunks' view is not the only one.

Laura

I love the question and would love to see more answers! My older son came out of 8 years of public school unable to write a cohesive paragraph . . . and I admit, literature has not been high on my radar. Because he also didnt know how to work with fractions. I feel we've been more remedial than . . .idk, thorough.

and my younger is really delayed in LA . . . but hopefully we'll get SOMEWHERE . . . sigh

I was just thinking how in math there is the basic +-x & (division) and then it goes into prealgebra, algebra etc. In science there is the basic routes we take as well and then later chemistry is added in etc. So, with that in mind, I think LA is probably similar. Basic grammar, spelling and then writing comes in.

I forgot that I wanted to comment on this as well.

The division of math into little tidy packages called "prealgebra", "algebra" etc is something very specific to the US educational system and not really inherent in mathematics. In my home country, no such compartmentalizing exists: all topics are taught intermixed, and the whole subject is called "math". There is nothing really that singles out "prealgebra" or divides "algebra 1" from "algebra 2" other than the organization of American school curricula.

There are a few inherent things about the sequence, for example: arithmetic with integers has to be done before arithmetic with fractions (not just for pedagogy reasons, but because arithmetic with integers is required to define fractions operations) and other sequencing for pedagogical reasons such as: arithmetic with concrete numbers must be taught before arithmetic with symbols aka algebra.

But aside from this, it is a continuum, not a collection of large discrete chunks.

Edited by regentrude

I forgot that I wanted to comment on this as well.

The division of math into little tidy packages called "prealgebra" "algebra" etc is something very specific to the US educational system and not really inherent in mathematics. In my home country, no such compartmentalizing exists, all topics are taught intermixed and the whole subject is called "math". There is nothing really that singles out "prealgebra" or divides "algebra 1" from "algebra 2" other than the organization of American school curricula.

The only thing that is inherent is that arithmetic with integers has to be mastered before arithmetic with fractions (not just for pedagogy reasons, but because arithmetic with integers is required to define fractions operations), and that arithmetic with concrete numbers must be taught before arithmetic with symbols aka algebra which has pedagogical reasons.

Beyond this, it is a continuum, not a collection of large discrete chunks.

Could you expand on this thought? What are the pedagogical reasons for this? Development of abstract thinking that comes with maturity?

Could you expand on this thought? What are the pedagogical reasons for this? Development of abstract thinking that comes with maturity?

Yes, at least that is what I believe (please keep in mind that I am not a trained math teacher). In order to teach arithmetic to a child, you will need to tie it to concrete objects: two apples and three apples makes five apples. Many kids need manipulatives to grasp the concepts. You can not define the operation "addition" in an abstract way through its properties without first working with the concrete.

Algebra works according to all the rules established when studying arithmetic, but the step from specific numbers to abstract variables is only possible for a child who has mastered math with numbers. I guess it is the abstraction of the symbolic manipulation that is hard for students, because the manipulations themselves are simply arithmetic.

I do not think it is possible to teach a child to solve the linear equation ax+b=c before the child has understood arithmetic with actual numbers (I do not count drilling a rote procedure without understanding)

K-12 planning is hard, at least I think it is hard, because my observations, which others sometimes disagree with, is that the average student, with an average teacher, cannot complete a curriculum that will make them competitive with the typical Yale/Harvard candidate. We label "average" homeschool language arts as competitive with what the top 1% students are accomplishing. That's NOT "average".

I find that we often neglect the most important foundational LA topics, to focus on those typically assigned to older students.

Now, SOME homeschool students can and SHOULD be competitive with the top 1%, and have no reason not to be. BUT not ALL homeschoolers should. Unless a parent had a firm idea of what her/his resources and strengths are, and also a firm idea of what the student is capable of, it's truly hard to create a plan so far in advance. There is no one size fits all.

A better idea that I think we can do though, is to make a list of the ORDER we want to present topics in, and the PRIORITY we think they are.

For example this week I have really been thinking about the priority value I want to assign to story telling. I was looking at the JoAnne Moore products and some others. Stories are healing and inspiring, but how important are they compared to a business letter or being able to outline? How do I compare healing and inspiration with productivity and efficiency?????

Homeschooling has been called messy for as long as I can remember. I've added the term "weedy", meaning Adam had weeds to contend with, and we have badly written curricula.

Sometimes we just end out diving in and ripping up some of the worst of the weeds, and water the plants that are drooping the most, and years pass, and we end out places we never expected to end out. And some of the things we fought and feared the most, end out being what our kids make their living off of. :lol: My boys are 24 and 26 now, and things went so differently than I expected. And it's true that 90% of what you fear never happens, and that life is stranger than fiction. :smilielol5:

A better idea that I think we can do though, is to make a list of the ORDER we want to present topics in, and the PRIORITY we think they are.

For example this week I have really been thinking about the priority value I want to assign to story telling. I was looking at the JoAnne Moore products and some others. Stories are healing and inspiring, but how important are they compared to a business letter or being able to outline? How do I compare healing and inspiration with productivity and efficiency?????

Homeschooling has been called messy for as long as I can remember. I've added the term "weedy", meaning Adam had weeds to contend with, and we have badly written curricula.

Sometimes we just end out diving in and ripping up some of the worst of the weeds, and water the plants that are drooping the most, and years pass, and we end out places we never expected to end out. And some of the things we fought and feared the most, end out being what our kids make their living off of. :lol: My boys are 24 and 26 now, and things went so differently than I expected. And it's true that 90% of what you fear never happens, and that life is stranger than fiction. :smilielol5: