Menu

Basic American Government by Carson. Who's used it?

I perused it this summer as a possibility for an American Government class I'm teaching this year. It was awfully wordy. Couldn't get past that. ;) Also, I decided it would be much better for my class to have a text that has section titles, bolded vocabulary words, charts and graphs just to break up long pages of text.

Sorry, that's probably not much help! Hope this gives you a bump for others that can comment on the content.

Lisa

I own it. Have not used it. It is big. It is wordy. It looks really good. It starts with the greeks and moves forward. It appears to be a study of government--US government in particular. I plan to use it. Just not quite there yet. I know where it is so if you want me to look at it.

It is the spine used in the Sonlight course. I think it is 400. I can't keep the name changes staight. People here do not like the course. Considered to be the worst one. Overall boring according to the posts. I cannot remember that book being the problem. A thread search might be useful.

Own it, used it for probably 4-6 weeks when dd did SL Core 400. We ditched it for a different text that clearly and concisely covered Am govt. The Carson book would be good for a political science major or perhaps law----not good for a general overview of how Am Govt works at the high school level. My son will be using Abeka Govt---not this book either. :glare:

I perused it this summer as a possibility for an American Government class I'm teaching this year. It was awfully wordy. Couldn't get past that. ;) Also, I decided it would be much better for my class to have a text that has section titles, bolded vocabulary words, charts and graphs just to break up long pages of text.

Lisa

I tried to outline it once as part of summer prep for an upcoming school year (w/o Sonlight course materials). The govt. book sort of defies traditional outlining. This is in contrast to Carson's American History series of textbooks, which are very user-friendly, and a teacher guide is available.

That said, dd read neither of these texts. I like and kept the govt text as a reference, or just to pick up and peruse particular sections. The history books are much easier and interesting reading IMO.