Menu

Second Language, half credit per year?

He wants to do more. :svengo: Next on the list is German.

Good for him. I just hope he is aware that it takes years of continuous study to make it worthwhile; so rather than studying many languages for short time spans each, it is wise to concentrate on a few and pursue them for a long time. I know how quickly an unused language is forgotten; I was, at one point, fluent in Russian (having attended a school with extended Russian from grade 3 through 12, classes by native speakers, original Great books...) - and after I did not need to take classes anymore, I forgot it almost completely. Which I very much regret.

So, encourage him, but make him continue with the ones he has already started.

Good for him. I just hope he is aware that it takes years of continuous study to make it worthwhile; so rather than studying many languages for short time spans each, it is wise to concentrate on a few and pursue them for a long time. I know how quickly an unused language is forgotten; I was, at one point, fluent in Russian (having attended a school with extended Russian from grade 3 through 12, classes by native speakers, original Great books...) - and after I did not need to take classes anymore, I forgot it almost completely. Which I very much regret.

So, encourage him, but make him continue with the ones he has already started.

Yes, we discuss the long term study often. He is invested into Japanese, and Russian is our try it out language thiis year. I study both with him and am enjoying Russian more than I had anticipated.

He may hold off on German until college, depending on how this year goes.

I would think it would depend on time available and if this is what he wants to emphasize in his life....It seems that in applying to college, it could show more passion - but then I'd probably do it for a full credit...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva
poorly edited

I would think it would depend on time available and if this is what he wants an emphasis he wants in his life....It seems that in applying to college, it could show more passion - but then I'd probably do it for a full credit...

Joan

Yes, time is an issue. We are still working on skills, like writing, that have developed more slowly for him. He also works on computer programming in his free time, which I try to guard that time. Between all of that, there is not time to devote a full credit to two foreign languages this year. I'm hoping he can progress in his foundational skills this year, so he will have time next year.

He currently has a strong desire to live abroad where he would utilize those languages.