Menu

Annotating text

Our ps English teachers state that they expect to see approximately 70% of the book annotated. From what little research I've done, that seems to be a fairly common number.

So out of 158 pages, that would be about 110 pages. That's not so bad. Of course that doesn't solve the problem of trying to find something to write. Some of her pages have only one comment. I'm not sure if that's good enough or not.

Is there any rule about how much annotation should be used when annotating a novel? Dd14 feels like she needs something substantial on every page, but I can't find anything that warrants a comment on some of these pages either.

Windows to the World has a guideline of a comment on every page when it introduces annotation.

BUT, the introduction is using short stories, where much more is packed into a page and descriptions have to be far shorter. I made many notes when I read Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird and Uncle Tom's Cabin this summer. Yet there were often pages with little to nothing on them, especially when I was really into the story.

Windows to the World has a guideline of a comment on every page when it introduces annotation.

BUT, the introduction is using short stories, where much more is packed into a page and descriptions have to be far shorter. I made many notes when I read Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird and Uncle Tom's Cabin this summer. Yet there were often pages with little to nothing on them, especially when I was really into the story.

She's annotating Fahrenheit 451. I suggested she read a page and then go back and annotate it. She's enjoying the story and doesn't really like to stop and go back so she's trying to make notes as she goes along. But then she's not catching stuff. Oh well, it's a learning process. :)

She's annotating Fahrenheit 451. I suggested she read a page and then go back and annotate it. She's enjoying the story and doesn't really like to stop and go back so she's trying to make notes as she goes along. But then she's not catching stuff. Oh well, it's a learning process. :)

I'd tell her to go ahead and fly through the book on her first read, don't do any annotations. Then come back and do her annotations on a second read. Having read the whole book will make for better annotations and a less frustrating experience.

I suggest read a chapter, then go back and annotate. I would NOT try for a number or percentage; just a symbol or underline or a word or two here and there in the chapter. Annotating a chapter after reading it helps keep the annotations to a truly helpful amount (not excessive), and especially helps you see a trend or theme or repetition in the chapter. Just my 2 cents worth! :) Warmly, Lori D.