Menu

Archaeologists Dig for Clues

Kathleen in LV

We loved that book, too! Your DS might also get a kick out of David Macauley's "Motel of the Mysteries" -- a very humorous "interpretation" by "archeologists" of a motel. Someone on this Board, years ago, said that their family read Motel of the Mysteries on the first day of school each year as their kick-off. :)

Don't worry about your DS and his preoccupation with the dog. You'll be amazed months or even years down the line when he'll pull out some fact he also retained from the book. All he's *telling* you about now is the dog. ;)

To expand on the "Archeologists Dig For Clues" book, I made a little dig for us, with the string and stakes to make a 9 square grid in the sandbox. I buried various types of items and then had the DSs dig them up and record them (i.e. draw what was found and where) on a piece of paper with a diagram of the 9 square grid. Then we talked about what was found and what it might tell us about the "culture" who had lived there, based on what the items were made out of (wood, metal, plastic, etc.), and what the items were used for (eating; tools; toys; jewelry; etc.). It was great fun and DSs (then grades 1 and 2) were good "detectives" and enjoyed telling me what they figured out about the "culture" they had dug up.

We also loved all the Let's Read and Find Out series; Magic School Bus series; and books by Seymour Simons, Gail Gibbons, and other great non-fiction children's authors... Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

We loved that book here too! It was especially fun b/c my sister is named Sophia, and she was working at an archeological dig this summer!! One of her (my sister's) favorite books as a child was Motel of the Mysteries. It was part of what inspired her to be an Anthropology major in college. :)

On a side...if anyone is in the Albany, NY area...SUNY does a dig every summer close by. They have a day where the public is invited to visit and see a dig in progress.