Menu

What comes after Calculus 1?....calc 2? Does it exist?

My dd will be doing Calculus 1 next fall as a sophomore. What math should we do after this? She is considering going into the computer sciences in college, so I'd like to get her as far in math as possible before she graduates.

Also, I would definitely need something well supported, either DVD or online, and complete solutions manual, so as not to make my like uber complicated. :lol:

Any help is much appreciated.

Is she taking these at a university?

Computer science will frequently require calculus, but also discrete mathematics. It is rather difficult to get a university to accept a home-study course in discrete mathematics, but dual enrolling for it would probably be a decent idea.

I would also look at universities she might plan to attend and see what they require. If she has one or two firmly in mind, contacting them directly and asking would probably be fruitful.

As a computer science major, she will have to take calculus 2 and, depending on the university also calculus 3, i.e. multivariable calc. (it depends on how they group the topics; ours recently included some calc 3 topics in the 2nd semester so Comp Sci's don't have to take all three semesters)

Next would be differential equations, very useful, but might not be required for her major.

She might also benefit from linear algebra and discrete math. Statistics. Number theory.

For high school, I definitely would go with continuing calculus, doing calc 2, and having her do the AP BC exam.

MIT's OpenCourseware has several discrete math courses available (mostly in the CS department). While you won't get personal instruction or complete solutions guides, many do offer exams and problem sets with full solutions, as well as lecture notes and reading assignments.

MIT's OpenCourseware has several discrete math courses available (mostly in the CS department). While you won't get personal instruction or complete solutions guides, many do offer exams and problem sets with full solutions, as well as lecture notes and reading assignments.

:iagree:

This one is a good place to start. The same class is offered in both the EE/CS and math departments at MIT.

At BU for computer engineering we had to have Calc 1, Calc 2, Multivariate Calc, Differential Equeations, and Linear Algebra. Computer Science may not have had to have DE but I know they took Linear Algebra since it was a comp sci class we had to take as eng students.

I would have her look at the requirements of some of the schools she is considering and then determine what she can take that may meet their requirements.

Generally college calculus is in two parts, so after Calc 1 (or A) would be Calc 2 (or B). But sometimes high schools offer a course that comes before college calculus. I think you'd have to check with the teacher or curriculum to see how they divide it.

Generally college calculus is in two parts, so after Calc 1 (or A) would be Calc 2 (or B). But sometimes high schools offer a course that comes before college calculus. I think you'd have to check with the teacher or curriculum to see how they divide it.

Just for clarification -- most places that refer to calc A/B/C are on the quarter system, in which case it takes 3 quarters of calculus to get to calc 1/2 on the semester system.

This is why calc AB gets you credit for calc 1 -- because it covers two quarters of material. Calc BC covers the full year.