Menu

Any Reviews/Thoughts on these Ancient History resources?

edeemarie

I am trying to map out our future curriculum and ran across some things I am not really sure about and haven't been able to find enough helpful information- so I am turning to you for help:) Please give me any information you have keeping in mind that my oldest will only be 9 when we start these.

History Pockets- they look great but I am not sure which level to get. I assume the youngest level but what do you think?

Ancient History (Make It Work)- I can't find any samples of this. I assume it is just crafts, but if anyone knows any more about it that would be great!

History Encyclopedias- Kingfisher or Usborne? We are young earth and don't need anything containing prehistory. I am leaning toward Usborne, but then there is the Ancient History vs. World History. My understanding is that the World History is a combination of 4 books, one of them including Ancient History. Is this true? Which Encyclopedia do you find to be the best reference for history (this will not be our spine, just a supplement)?

Also, what were some of your favorite read alouds (fiction and nonfiction) for this time period?

Thanks so much, again, for the help:)

History Pockets- They're a lot of cutting, pasting, and coloring (and copying!) If your kids aren't into that they may not be the best fit.

Kingfisher/Usborne - we've enjoyed both. Usborne tends to have internet links in their books, which was helpful when we used their science encyclopedia.

Read alouds:

Usborne's Jason And the Argonauts

Theras and His Town

The Golden Goblet

Tales of Ancient Egypt

Archimedes and the Door To Science

Edited by Lily_Grace

We loved the Good Times Travel Agency books by Linda Bailey. There are books for Egypt and Greece. Magic School bus also has one for Ancient Egypt. These were the books Ds learned the most from. These were great supplements. I suspect your 9 year old would still enjoy them.

The Golden Goblet is wonderful. We also really liked the Usbourne Greek Myth book.

The history pockets were fun. Lots of cutting etc. Dd loved those. We used Usbourne World Hisory which we enjoyed.

Edited by sawuk
addition

History Pockets- They're a lot of cutting, pasting, and coloring (and copying!) If your kids aren't into that they may not be the best fit.

Kingfisher/Usborne - we've enjoyed both. Usborne tends to have internet links in their books, which was helpful when we used their science encyclopedia.

Read alouds:

Usborne's Jason And the Argonauts

Theras and His Town

The Golden Goblet

Tales of Ancient Egypt

Archimedes and the Door To Science

Thank you for your info. I think the kids might like the history pockets. They love cutting and pasting and coloring- I just don't like cleaning it up! I'll have to start a list of possible read alouds- those look good!

We loved the Good Times Travel Agency books by Linda Bailey. There are books for Egypt and Greece. Magic School bus also has one for Ancient Egypt. These were the books Ds learned the most from. These were great supplements. I suspect your 9 year old would still enjoy them.

The Golden Goblet is wonderful. We also really liked the Usbourne Greek Myth book.

The history pockets were fun. Lots of cutting etc. Dd loved those. We used Usbourne World Hisory which we enjoyed.

I didn't know the Magic School Bus did anything with Ancient Egypt- the kids will love that! I'll have to look into your book suggestions too-thank you!

One of the popular history encyclopedias had about 1/4 of the book on prehistory. I was really disappointed. I think it was the red one with the iron mask on the front... I can't remember.

This was one of my concerns. I think the one you are referring to is Usborne. That is why I was debating on getting the ones that are time specific instead of just the general world history one. I wonder if Kingfisher is the same way.

History Encyclopedias- Kingfisher or Usborne? We are young earth and don't need anything containing prehistory. I am leaning toward Usborne, but then there is the Ancient History vs. World History. My understanding is that the World History is a combination of 4 books, one of them including Ancient History. Is this true? Which Encyclopedia do you find to be the best reference for history (this will not be our spine, just a supplement)?

I have both of these, the Encyclopedia of World History has about 100 pages or 1/4 of the book is prehistory. The Encyclopedia of the Ancient World has no prehistory and is much more in-depth, more in-depth than we needed. Both of these books are 400 pages. The one we use the most is this Internet-Linked Ancient World, it is the exact same as the ancient history section of the Encyclopedia of World History, but it is just ancient history and no prehistory. It's 96 pages. It's a larger size with fewer pages and that is why we tend to use it more. (There is one called Medieval World, I'm assuming it is also the exact same as what is in the Encyclopedia of World History.)

:iagree:Of all the books we have my kids love the Good Times Travel Agency books the most and look at them over and over again, even my younger two who aren't reading just love them. There is also one for Ancient China but it is harder to find, and there are a few others covering other time periods as well.

I think that MSB Ancient Egypt book is a chapter book, one of Ms Frizzle's adventures.