Menu

SWR...

mommaduck

HOW do you implement this? I just received two books (WISE Guide for Spelling and Spell to Write & Read). I have not had a chance to read through them yet, but have glanced through them.

You will have to read the red book ;). Here is a website that really helped me whe I first started: http://www.swrtraining.com/id26.html. Really listen to the advice to make your own teacher's logbook. That was the most helpful thing I did! The sample schedules in the back of the book give you a good idea of what your days will look like. I created a schedules for my K'ers and 1st graders to help me the first couple of years (I'm willing to share if you are interested), but I don't need to do that anymore. The program's completely open-and-go for me these days.

I could make it work if I had to. I just get frustrated with the instructions. If I ignore the instructions, after having studied other spalding knock-offs to get the basic idea, the list, flashcards, supplements etc are all fine.

This might sound ridiculous, but it took me months to realize the SWR red book was divided into steps, and that I was expected to complete them in order :tongue_smilie: Yeh, I know :001_huh:

I think a lot of people who like SWR best, originally started with the author's 1st book that supplemented Writing Road to Reading 4th edition, and had that background.

Edited by Hunter

As a PP mentioned, you do first have to spend some time with the red book. But you don't have to read the whole thing. Just read through to Step 12, and then start your own log book. When I started, I spent about a half hour per day and got through the book in 2 weeks and completed several lists in my log book in another 2 weeks. You really have to invest this time before you start. But once you are over that hump, the Wise Guide (brown book) makes everything very open-and-go.

I see that you have 8 children. What are the ages of the children that you want to use this with? That is going to have an effect on how you start up the program with your family.

I was looking at using it for my 1st grader.

Okay, then if you are only going to use it for one first-grader, that this actually the easiest way to do it. When you start your log, you will just start at List A and do as many lists as you need to so that you feel like you understand the rules and the markings that are being covered. When I started, I think I went through List G. The book recommends that you continue making your own log, staying a bit ahead of your dc, but I just stopped there. Continue if you need to in order to feel prepared, but don't feel like you must if you find that you just get it.

Feel free to PM me if you need some one-on-one help. Or also consider signing up for the SWR Yahoo Group. They are very helpful there.

Also, consider spending a little extra and getting the phonogram cards, spelling rule cards and two primary logs (one for you and one for your student). It is worth the time saving rather than writing in a generic composition book.