Menu

Trying to finalize Book Club List

mom31257

Would you all help me finalize my book list for the book club I'm leading? The club is for 3rd-6th graders. The books need to have been made into a movie because the children read the book at home. We come together to discuss the book, then we watch the movie and discuss the differences.

We begin this week with Charlotte's Web. I've already decided to do A Cricket in Times Square (30 minute cartoon from the '70s) as well as read a short version of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi in class (it's on the same dvd).

I need 4 more book/movie selections. Most of the families are very conservative Christians, so there needs to be no language or objectionable content in the books or movies. I'm going to email the families and ask them to give me their general guidelines in movie choices.

Here are some I'm considering, but I need more choices.

Peter Pan (Disney movie version?)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (old Willie Wonka version movie)

The Secret Garden (1993 version)

***I had a small group last year (all participating this year) and we did these (Trumpet of the Swan, Because of Winn Dixie, The Borrowers, adapted version of Swiss Family Robinson).***

From a Google search "children's books adapted to movies, some other ideas are:

The Wizard of Oz

The Iron Giant

The Jungle Book

Pinocchio

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (old version)

Alice in Wonderland (Disney)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (did this as a read aloud last year and loved it)

Freaky Friday

Indian in the Cupboard

James and the Giant Peach

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Mary Poppins

The Tale of Despereaux

The Sword in the Stone

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Great idea for a book club!

Erica in OR

Ben and Me (older Disney cartoon)

Mary Poppins?

Wizard of Oz

Chronicles of Narnia (any of them)

The Incredible Jouney

Just to note, I would probably not want my dd reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Dahl revised the book, but the Oompa-Loompas still bug me.

HTH

Ben and Me (older Disney cartoon)

Mary Poppins?

Wizard of Oz

Chronicles of Narnia (any of them)

The Incredible Jouney

Just to note, I would probably not want my dd reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Dahl revised the book, but the Oompa-Loompas still bug me.

HTH

I hate to sound ignorant but what did he revise about the Oompa-Loompas and why do they bug you?

I hate to sound ignorant but what did he revise about the Oompa-Loompas and why do they bug you?

In the original edition, the Oompas-Loomas were black pygmies, whom Willy Wonka shipped from Africa (in crates), and he gave a speech about about how they were better off now. This was written in the 1960s (which is why Dahl doesn’t get a back-in-those-days pass from me.) Most people aren’t going to see anything bad in the current version, but I still find the book squicky.

This paper has has some background and pictures. This is the debate that helped trigger the 1973 revision.

Yikes, I think some of the books listed might be no-nos if they are conservative.

There is Language in Peter Pan & fairies doing um.. naughty adult things.

Ben & Me maks fun of Ben Franklin.. my Ben Franklin loving child hated the book

My very conservative Aunt hated James & The Giant Peach for so many more reason then I can bother to list

Indian In The Cupboard movie has the children flipping through channels & stoping at p.rn

It's SOOO hard to pick books in this setting. Sorry, I didn't mean to be negative!

Well, here is the final list. Thanks for you help!

Charlotte's Web (We did this today and it went very well. We had 15 kids there and 4 out. They all brought a project or diorama of a book they read over the summer and gave reports, too. Then we had our discussion. I taught them about plot and climax, so we completed a story chart of the entire book. We also discussed different aspects of the book, such as friendship, farm realities, etc. I taught them about foreshadowing and discussed the foreshadowing in the book.)

A Cricket in Times Square (will read a version of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi in the class because there is a video of it on the same dvd)

Tale of Depsereaux

The Railway Children

The Incredible Journey

The Secret Garden