Menu

Singapore's Discovering Math & US placement

Does anyone know..... If a student used Singapore's DM 1 & 2 for 7th & 8th grade, would that student be likely to place into Geometry in 9th?

Any idea where they'd place if they finished DM 1. 2, and 3?

I'm planning to have my boys finish at least DM 1 & 2 and as much of DM 3 as they can in 7th and 8th. I'm wondering what math they'd most likely place into in 9th grade, if they attend a brick & mortar school for high school. I know DM is integrated & doesn't match up to the typical US math sequence, etc. I already see benefits to it, though, so we'll continue with it. I'm just wondering where that will put us for high school.

Thanks!

Didn't know if this singmath.com response would help with your question...

• How do these books correlate with the math sequence in the U.S.? Which is pre-algebra, algebra 1, geometry and so on?

These books have an integrated approach. They progress sequentially through various topics in algebra, geometry, and some trigonometry, with minimal review of earlier levels. Please see the scope and sequence. As a rough comparison:

Secondary 1: pre-algebra, some algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 2: algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 3: some algebra 2, geometry, some trigonometry

Secondary 4: some advanced topics and review

Additional Mathematics: first half is mostly pre-calculus including trigonometry, second half is mostly calculus

Well, i haven't been there done that yet, but I'm on the same path. Just started DM 1 this week with my 7th grader. I'm hoping to do 1&2 and part of 3 by the end of 8th grade. I expect to put her into a proof-based geometry class in our local high school for 9th grade. At some point I will go over the scope and sequence more carefully (I printed one from I think singaporemath.com and it is very complete) and I will compare to other Algebra 1 programs to make sure nothing has been left out. I believe graphing linear equations is one topic that isn't covered in 1 or 2--there may be others. If it's not in 3, I'll supplement with other texts.

I liked chapter 1--lots of good thinking going on here.

Thanks so much, Ali. It does look like we are on the same path.

I liked chapter 1--lots of good thinking going on here.

I thought so as well! Who knew what one could do with prime numbers?!

Are you using the original or the Core Standards edition? I already had the original, but bought the DM 1 CS ed. last week to compare, wondering if it would help ensure we cover any US 7th & 8th grade topics. The only difference I've seen so far is that the DM 1 CS ed. includes sections on rate, ratio, & percentage. All of those were covered in PM 6A&B, so I don't see any advantage to the CS version at least for DM 1. Have to take a look at DM 2.

The Common Core Standards series came out after I obtained the original Discovering Mathematics 1 for dss' 7th grade year, so I e-mailed SM with some questions. Here is Jenny's response to me for anyone who is interested:

"The new edition has a little more added on absolute value equations or evaluating absolute value expressions. There is some change in language, i.e. indices to exponents. Some topics are rearranged between the two levels. Derivation of the formula for area and circumference of a circle was included as that is not a Common Core Standard for 6th grade (though it is in the Primary Mathematics 6). Dot plots, which is for some reason the only graphical representation of data in Common Core Standards 7th grade, was expanded on and moved down from 8th grade and histograms moved from 7th to 8th grade. Probability of combined events was added to 7th grade.

There is a scope and sequence comparing the two editions here: http://www.singaporemath.com/Scope_and_Sequence_s/120.htm

Please note, though, that some of the topics covered are NOT on common core standards. Common core standards assume algebra 1 in 9th grade. Discovering Mathematics covers much more algebra than Common Core Standards, and still does. So it goes beyond Common Core Standards, and would not be a choice for a school that wanted to stick to only Common Core Standards. I don't think the issue will be gaps, unless your student must take yearly tests. In which case, proportions is taught in 2A but is now in 8B. Proportions is a 7th grade common core standard. It is taught in Singapore in 6th grade, though, and expanded on to inverse proportions in 8th grade. So that chapter got moved down to 7th grade (inverse proportions is still in it, though that is not a common core standard.) A review of proportions from Primary Mathematics 6th grade would more than cover the expectations in Common Core Standards. But, as with current tests, I expect there will be plenty of test prep books available for any tests based on Common Core Standards that would provide review as well. The issue will probably not be gaps, but the need to go back to simpler material just before any standardized tests, and doing a review for what might appear on the test."