Menu

Making green smoothies in a Blendtec

Does anyone make green smoothies in a Blendtec?

I was going to buy a Vitamix, but I saw several websites recommending Blendtec, and that was what my closest Costco had in stock. It came with the WildSide jar. I have been impressed by everything it does except for smoothies! :tongue_smilie:

Can anyone give me pointers?

It seems to take as much liquid as my Bosch blender took. Part of the problem could be the fruit I'm using too. I bought the frozen fruit blend from Costco. It seems flavorless. :confused: If I add that to spinach, I have to add a banana for sweetness. Since our bananas are also usually frozen, maybe I am just expecting it to handle too much frozen fruit.

About what proportion of liquid:spinach:frozen fruit should I be using?:bigear: Anything else I should be adding? I also add in ground flaxseed.

TIA for any pointers.

I dribble a little in until the stuff starts to move. Doesn't that sound technically astute? :001_smile: Since I don't want 'sludge' but a drinkable consistency, I don't mind the water in it. I LOVE our Blendtec and we make spinach smoothies ALL THE TIME. Also, love the GreenSmoothieGirl blog.....great ideas.

My go-to recipe is:

2 c spinach

1 banana

1 c frozen mixed berries (I used the Costco three-berry blend)

1 c water

1 t cinnamon

2 T flax seed (ground)

1 T fresh ginger

Everything gets chucked into the blender and it eventually turns into a delicious smoothie. Without the ginger it is a little bland, but the ginger really perks it up.

I have a Vitamix but I imagine the taste will be the same. I start by making almond milk...a cup or so of water, handful of raw almonds, and a tiny dash of salt. After that is blended, I add my frozen fruit. Strawberries are the least flavored unless I've frozen them myself from fresh, so I usually use a mix of them and berries. Mango is a favorite when I can find it. If it isn't sweet enough, I add a pitted date. We use designer whey protein powder as well. Yummo!

We've tried two interesting smoothies.

One was based on apples and kale. :thumbdown: The taste was fine, but the thinned out applesauce texture was unappealing.

Today I used chocolate soymilk (a rare treat), almond butter, flaxseed, a frozen banana, and 3 big hands full of spinach. It was a pukey color, but delicious! :lol: The girls said it tasted like a chocolate covered almond and asked for more. I'd probably add even more greens next time, since the other flavors were so strong. The almond butter must have made it especially filling, since I made it until 1:00 without getting hungry.