Menu

Question about Bravewriter's "The Arrow"

It's enough for what it specifically is. I was surprised initially by the length too. But if you follow her philosophy, that's one meaty dictation a week, a read aloud that will last a good length (for most of them), a guided topic to look at in the book, and a writing project that will last at least a few days. If that was all you did for language arts for the whole month, that would be a problem, but I think there's a lot there.

It's enough for what it specifically is. I was surprised initially by the length too. But if you follow her philosophy, that's one meaty dictation a week, a read aloud that will last a good length (for most of them), a guided topic to look at in the book, and a writing project that will last at least a few days. If that was all you did for language arts for the whole month, that would be a problem, but I think there's a lot there.

:iagree:

If you check out her blog you can listen to her podcast (if your child is doing Arrow I'd recommend starting with the Partnership Writing podcast) to help get more of an idea of the philosophy and it will help you see how Arrow works.

Heather

I downloaded the free sample of The Arrow on the Bravewriter website -- is this an actual FULL download or is there usually more to a typical unit?

I like what I see, but I wouldn't think it would be enough for a whole month.

Thanks!

On its own there's not. You'd need to mix it in with the email loop activities (The Bravewriter Lifestyle) or suggestions from The Writer's Jungle, etc... Most of the time we could only get 10 or 11 days out of the Arrow, which leaves a lot of planning up to mom. I love her philosophy but just needed more structure than that.

This is how I use The Arrow:

We apply it 3 days a week...

Day 1 - The passage as copywork after discussing relevant points given in the notes.

Day 2 - The passage as dictation after practicing any spelling that I think may be any sort of challenge.

Day 3 - The kids 'rewrite' the passage as much as they can from memory. I do this because it is good practice to just write from their 'head'. I tell them that if they can't remember the exact words to just supplement with words that still get the meaning across. As a side note, my 11th grader was doing a Bravewriter online course earlier this year and she had to write summaries. She commented that writing summaries was easy to her because of all the times i had them do their 'rewrites' from The Arrow years ago. ;)

I really like the writing assignments that go along with The Arrow so we try to slot them in there somewhere as well. It also has some really good practical grammar instruction.

We also use an English book some days of the week which covers grammar, different writing styles, and comprehension activities, and we do spelling separately as well. Two days a week my kids do free writing.

So that's how I incorporate The Arrow into my LA program. It's not meant to be a stand alone program but is great as part of the whole. That's how I see it anyway :001_smile: .

Hope that helps.