Menu

Mac users, do you like Mountain Lion?

I have a 4 year old mac mini that is slowing down because it can no longer be updated due to not having the requirements. It is currently running Leopard. I have been thinking about getting a new one, but keep seeing people saying that Lion and Mountain Lion have become harder to use and have way too many bells and whistles. Can anyone who has used both compare/contrast Leopard and Mountain Lion for me? If it is all that bad, I may just end up getting a pc. I loved my mac for its simplicity and cleanness, and don't want to pay the price for something that isn't going to be any better than a new windows machine but costs way more.

Well we have only had our iMac for less than a year, so I can't compare and contrast to anything older that Lion. My kids haven't complained since I updated to ML though.

I can say I'm really glad I went Mac for them. They love it and keep telling me I have to get a Macbook Pro, I completely agree with them, now I just have to convince dh to give up his Dell addiction. I do find myself sneaking off to the other room to use "mac" as he's been dubbed (I know not to original) and have found it to be much cleaner than using a PC and much more intuitive to use.

My macbook is the aluminum one (looks like macbook pro but it's not), I think it's from 2008. I recently did two upgrades because I didn't have access to the apps store. Everything went smoothly, no hiccups. Now I'm at 10.7.4.

I don't have Mountain Lion yet, I'm not sure if it's worth the $19.99. What's new? iCloud, iMessage, and Notification Center? I have all those on my iphone, and don't think I need them on my macbook. The dictation would be cool though.

Well we have only had our iMac for less than a year, so I can't compare and contrast to anything older that Lion. My kids haven't complained since I updated to ML though.

I can say I'm really glad I went Mac for them. They love it and keep telling me I have to get a Macbook Pro, I completely agree with them, now I just have to convince dh to give up his Dell addiction. I do find myself sneaking off to the other room to use "mac" as he's been dubbed (I know not to original) and have found it to be much cleaner than using a PC and much more intuitive to use.

Lol, yep, we call ours Mac too. :) The highlighted part is where my concern lies. If you still see Mountain Lion as having those qualities, that is a good thing to hear - exactly my reasons for preferring mac. (Whenever I get on my girls' pc, I feel like I am in somebody else's house trying to find things, lol.)

I haven't upgraded to ML yet, simply because I read there were a few kinks. I think they're releasing an update, so it's probably fine. Actually my other bugaboo is that I have to upload SL (snow leopard) on a partitioned drive so I can run the stupid Earobics software. Someone gave me the tip to try fitting it all on a usb thumb drive, so I may do that.

Anyways, I started with SL and kept going. I LOVE the new features with each upgrade. If you don't want 'em, don't use 'em. To me it just keeps getting nicer and more intuitive. Like in SL they had this corners/expose thing. Hated that. With Lion we got the ability to swipe between desktops, which I LOVE.

I think you're going to like the updates much more than you anticipate. They really fit well with current use of computers. That way the OS is working with you.