Menu

Camping people..

I'm thinking of getting a tent. I'd like to do some camping with DD. But... I've never actually BEEN camping. (Okay, once, but we were with friends who did everything. Any other time I've been "camping" was at my family's cabin.)

What tents/tent brands are good?

Would a 4 person tent fit 2 adults, one 6 year old, an 80 pound dog, and a puppy, plus our stuff for 1-2 nights? (For reference, me, the kid, and both dogs share a queen size bed at night, with some room left over. :tongue_smilie:) Mostly it would probably be DD and I camping with one or both dogs, but occasionally we might be able to convince my mom to come along if we have a big enough tent. :D

Is there anything else I need to know, or should get? I'm looking for a good, but cheap tent to be a trial period and see if we like it. What else will we need for couple night camping trips to state parks?

(This seems like a bad idea even as I'm typing it out... but I think DD would really have fun...... :tongue_smilie:)

I would borrow a tent from someone first to see how you like it. Have a trial run in the backyard to see if the layout is comfortable for you or not. We camped quite a bit when the kids were younger and prefered having a tent with a divider or two separate rooms. There is a wide range of gear you can get for camping- it just depends on how "rough" you want to be. Would you camp at a state park or campground with showers? Do you want to camp somewhere with electricity? Do you want to hike to a campsite? Would you cook over a campfire, propane, or picnic? How you want to camp will help determine just what all you will need.

I would get a 6 person. You could probably make a 4 person work, but you might be cramped.

We LOVE our Eureka Timberline tents. We're on our second (and it's dh's 3rd). Not because they've worn out, but as our family has grown, so has our tent :)

For car camping, we go to Costco and get the best, biggest dome-pop up tent they have. Those are easy to put up, and extra space is always really nice if the weather is bad. I have found that getting Costco's best costs about the same as everyone else's small to medium ones.

Rule of thumb: A four person tent is big enough for 4 very tiny people only. Plan on at least a 6 person tent for 4 people, preferable an 8 person one.

Get a big lantern that runs on batteries. You don't want lighter fluid in your tent. Be smart. Cook outside, also. You don't want the fuel or the smells in your tent. The fuel is dangerous, the smells are obnoxious, and the scents can attract bears and raccoons inside.

What saved camping for my DH was getting a big, fat air mattress, queen or king size, and a pump that can be charged up at home, or run by foot power, or run from the lighter in the car. We bring standard ish bedding for this. DD uses a sleeping bag. We have a thermarest for her, but she likes to throw her bag down outside, and we usually let her.

Bring lots of old towels of various sizes. You will use them for everything--standard body and dish drying, potholders, wipe rags, padding, pillow adjustment, you name it.

I am not a fan of bringing wood in the trunk, because it seems to have bugs in it inevitably. But that's just me.

You need a big cooler, and a big water jug, both well insulated.

I like to cook ahead and freeze things to eat. Those double as ice blocks in the cooler at first.

My hiking poles are WEP. They are light, adjustable, and help with balance and jumps down or across things. If you are hiking but using your camp site as a base camp, be sure to have a small backpack for lunch and a good water bottle and plenty of sunscreen. I think it's nice to have one or two craftish things along at base camp--a knitting project, a journal, a flower press, a magnifying glass are all good. Have a book to read.

For backpacking, get thermarest mattresses--they are remarkable. They cushion the ground astoundingly without being bulky or heavy to carry. Go to REI and get them to fit you with a backpack that is just right. Then rent it to see how it goes. Backpacking equipment is very expensive, and you have to get it right. Plus REI has a no questions, used is OK return policy as a backup.

I would get a 6 person. You could probably make a 4 person work, but you might be cramped.

We LOVE our Eureka Timberline tents. We're on our second (and it's dh's 3rd). Not because they've worn out, but as our family has grown, so has our tent :)

:iagree:

DH, 3YODS, and myself have a 6 person Coleman tent. It fits a queen size air mattress(that doesn't seem to fit as many people as our queen size bed at home, since you fall off the edge if you get too close to it) with extra room for one adult to comfortably sleep on the floor + suitcases, AND you can stand up in it!

Borrow a tent for the first trip or two.

That said, you should definitely get a six-person. Our six-person tent is a tight fit for the four of us. The estimates of how many people you can comfortably put in a tent are NEVER accurate--they always say more people than is realistic.

NEVER, ever bring food in the tent. EVER.

The best way to learn about tents is to go spend some time at REI with a really knowledgeable salesperson. Go on a weekday when they are less crowded. Make it clear that you are not ready to buy but are strongly considering a tent. I have found some of the REI salespeople are really helpful.

Air mattresses make the whole experience way better. Personally, I prefer the skinny backpacking ones. They are not as cushy, but they are definitely warmer and far lighter and easier to carry. At the least the roll-up foam ones are cheap and easy, though I prefer a good air mattress myself.

ETA: Another thought if you are car camping is to put your stuff either in the car or in a separate, really small tent. I personally do not like having baggage in the sleeping tent. I would rather use that space for people. I have a small, child's play tent that I bought really cheap at Walmart, and use that as a separate "closet". I have also been known to set up the car as our closet.

Air mattresses make the whole experience way better. Personally, I prefer the skinny backpacking ones. They are not as cushy, but they are definitely warmer and far lighter and easier to carry. At the least the roll-up foam ones are cheap and easy, though I prefer a good air mattress myself.

I agree with this! We love our thermarest self inflating pads. They are much warmer than a regular air mattress, you don't have to worry about someone rolling off the side and they aren't noisy.

The kids use our old ridge rest foam pads that we bought before dh and I upgraded :)

I'm thinking of getting a tent. I'd like to do some camping with DD. But... I've never actually BEEN camping. (Okay, once, but we were with friends who did everything. Any other time I've been "camping" was at my family's cabin.)

What tents/tent brands are good? We like LL Bean the best. They're very well made and guaranteed for life. Their customer service is incredible.

Would a 4 person tent fit 2 adults, one 6 year old, an 80 pound dog, and a puppy, plus our stuff for 1-2 nights? (For reference, me, the kid, and both dogs share a queen size bed at night, with some room left over. :tongue_smilie:) No way IMO. We are a family of four, no dog and need an 8 person tent to camp comfortably with our luggage. Maybe a 6 person would do for a night, but you'd be much more comfortable in a bigger I think. And the price doesn't jump that much. Mostly it would probably be DD and I camping with one or both dogs, but occasionally we might be able to convince my mom to come along if we have a big enough tent. :D

Is there anything else I need to know, or should get? I'm looking for a good, but cheap tent to be a trial period and see if we like it. What else will we need for couple night camping trips to state parks? Buy a rain fly (maybe they come with? I don't remember.) Ours is divided w/a screened "porch" type area--great if it rains. We use it for our luggage, etc. Would also be a good place for the dog, unless he likes to sleep right with you guys :)

(This seems like a bad idea even as I'm typing it out... but I think DD would really have fun...... :tongue_smilie:)

We love camping and our kids love it too...it'll be a lot of fun!! Agree with a PP to get thermorests; they make a big difference in comfort.

Edited by whitestavern

I agree that a 4 person tent won't work for 4 people (or 2 adults, 1 kid, 1 dog, a puppy & your stuff). If you look at a diagram of how the people are supposed to fit, it's tightly packed without stuff. Here's an example. Click on the diagram (below the picture) that shows the 4 sleeping bags (not even what most of us think of when we think sleeping bag--they're mummy-style).