Menu

Just getting started 7th grade

Actually at the moment I'm still on the fence about homeschooling. In the past we have home schooled using a traditional approach, done the virtual school, and now at a public charter school. I'm looking into the virtual school option as well as transferring my daughter out of her current charter school to the regular public school. So nothing has been finalized, other than I want her out of her current school. (very long story there)

Anyway I'm getting stuck on the curriculum. Here's what I've figured out so far.

Spelling- Megawords 1(I had ordered this planning to do some afterchooling)

Math- Math-u-see Pre Algebra

Science- Real Science 4 kids Biology

Vocabulary- Vocabulary from classical roots 1

Latin- The Latin Road to English Grammar

Logic- Critical Thinking 1

Music- Learn to play tin whistle

Art- Artistic pursuits

Grammar & Writing - Rod & Staff (Start at grade 5 as WTM suggests) But not so sure about this. Is there a better choice? My daughter needs to improve her writing.

I'm getting stuck on the History and Literature. I understand the reading good literature in conjunction with your history, but I'm overwhelmed with the idea of not having a plan. Yes I'm a very planned and organized person. Is there a package out there that provides a good literature and history curriculum? I know I've looked at so much stuff my mind is spinning. I'm tempted to just get a complete curriculum and stop stressing about it all.

I know you mentioned both history and literature together but just thought I'd mention Lightning Literature. My dd who will be in 7th grade or I guess is a 7th grader now :001_huh: will use it once we start school.

Have you looked at My Father's World or Heart of Dakota? Those both provide history/literature. Easy Classical is another and America the Beautiful from Notgrass.

Again, dd us using HOD but not DITHOR since we have Lightning Literature.

Blessings,

Linda<><

I'm getting stuck on the History and Literature. I understand the reading good literature in conjunction with your history, but I'm overwhelmed with the idea of not having a plan. Yes I'm a very planned and organized person. Is there a package out there that provides a good literature and history curriculum?

I've used Sonlight for 12 years, so that's my recommendation. Let me know if you have specific questions.:)

TOG? This is what I would do if I didn't already own everything under the sun.

I'm doing FMG and FMR along with Kingfisher for history w/my 7th grade dd. I'm looking at including one of the middle school authors for The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid. I will include some prehistory, some Egyptian studies with Golden Goblet (she's already read Mara, which she really liked) and she's reading Red Pyramid right now. We'll also do a timeline and fill in gaps of FMG and FMR w/Kingfisher (any other world history text would work).

I think Latin Road is cumbersome.

Is RS4K Biology a full year?

Laura

7th grade is a great time to come into Sonlight. You can do their 2 year pass through world history, Cores G & H I think. It will give you history and lit for the next two years without stress.

Yup, G for 7th and H for 8th, or you could do W (which is the combination of those) for 7th and 100 for 8th, which is American History. So that would be a year of world history and a year of american history.