Menu

Reading for Kinesthetic Learners

MrsBanjoClown

I'm using OPG with letter tiles and occasionally stamps. I'm planning on getting AAS in a few months. What really helped for ds was having the words on a white board, watching them being spelled, rather than reading out of the book. That and getting the letter tiles go him over his block. He works out of the book now when he wants to.

I bought large foam puzzle pieces from Walmart (about $5 for 12) and I attached index cards with different words on them. She reads the word to get the piece, sets up the puzzle on the floor and then jumps to whatever word I say. I use OPGTR for the order to introduce things. You can see more about how we do this - here.

We also use a white board.

I agree that All About Reading is a great curriculum if you are looking for something all inclusive.

If you are looking for a general "tactile" approach I really recommend Reading Rods from EtaHand2Mind. I used them with my middle daughter and paired her game-time with it watching WordWorld on PBS. We literally BUILD the words along with the characters. You can see more things I did with them here.

They also sell fun Reading Rod Readers that have pictures of the rods along with the words to help guide building but you can really use them with any early reader.