Menu

Second thoughts about Conceptual Physics...

One week to go and I'm having second thoughts! I read Anglie W's posts about the various levels of physics (Conceptual being "less" than a standard high school physics) and now I'm not sure I've made the right decision. I was hoping to keep two kids together for science next year: (1) 10th grade son, has completed Biology & Algebra I - possibly a liberal arts major (2) 8th grade son, finishing up Algebra I now. He is my math/science lover, so I want to challenge him.

Is CP a mistake? Obviously, neither are ready for a science that requires Alg 2, so I guess chemistry would be an option. I was kind of thinking to wait and have them take that as DC in 11th grade like my oldest son, so they get the benefit of a real lab. Is there something else I should be considering?

There is nothing wrong with conceptual physics. It is quite sufficient for a liberal arts minded student, and your math/science minded 8th grader can plan to take a more rigorous math based course later in high school.

Just to give you some perspective: I teach a calculus based physics course for STEM students at the university, and about 20-25% of my students never took any physics course in high school - and these are students majoring in math and science!

With algebra 1 completed, your students might be ready for an algebra based physics course if the algebra included quadratic equations, and if it was thoroughly mastered. It is hard to judge without knowing your students. I do not think you can make a mistake by choosing Conceptual Physics. (If it turns out to be not challenging enough for your younger son, you could simply buy a used algebra based text for a few $ and have him use it as a supplement.)

Go ahead, don't second guess, it will work out fine.

My thought is that CP is perfectly fine. It is probably just what your oldest is needing. The younger will have PLENTY of time to take a more advanced class in high school. CP will give him a great base for that future math based class. I vote for you to just keep on chugging on.

I do not think you can make a mistake by choosing Conceptual Physics.

:iagree: After having one son jump right into the trig-based physics in 11th grade and struggle, I had the 2nd one use Conceptual Physics in the 8th grade. My 8th grader just loved the course, and I really believe that the foundation in thinking about the physics concepts without the "burden" of doing the harder math was a great mind-expanding exercise for him. He'll tackle the trig-based course this year in 11th, and I think he'll have a much easier time than his brother did.

For your older son, who doesn't seem to be pursuing a science career, I think he'll get more out of a Conceptual Physics course than from one with a lot of math. Of course, if he changes his mind about majors later, he will still have that physics background and be able to take more advanced courses later.

Rather than making the wrong decision by choosing CP, I think you'd made the best decision possible.

Best wishes,

Brenda

We used CP in 9th grade to start off the high school sciences. This worked well for dd. She ended up a liberal arts major but did get accepted into an early entrance program at a stem university. Ds will have time for another physics his senior year if he heads in that direction.