Menu

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - what grade?

TWTM book has this poem listed under 7th grade reading. I think this seems pretty hard for 7th grade, and studied it myself in 9th grade. Wondering what others think and/or what grade you've had your student study it and what seems to be the best grade for it.

Thanks!

Well, I studied it in college, lol.

We are using Kolbe lit for 7&8th grade. They have 'Rime' in their poetry unit. You can use the unit any time you like (or pull it apart and stick the poems in individually), but they suggest the poetry unit be done in 8th grade.

But, I didn't encounter it until college. We did spend weeks on it.

Well, I studied it in college, lol.

We are using Kolbe lit for 7&8th grade. They have 'Rime' in their poetry unit. You can use the unit any time you like (or pull it apart and stick the poems in individually), but they suggest the poetry unit be done in 8th grade.

But, I didn't encounter it until college. We did spend weeks on it.

I agree. You can study it earlier, but then your student will probably be struggling simply to grasp the narrative and will not really be prepared to discuss it in depth in terms of symbolism and language use. This is more high school and college level discussion. The first exposure will almost certainly be pretty superficial.

That said, exposure now could make the work a welcome friend when it returns later. I suppose it could also make it a loathed enemy, but I think you would be able to tell if that was happening.

We read it aloud for exposure only when kids were 7th grade ,5th ,and 2nd (maybe they were 8th, 6th, and 3rd - I don't remember).

We have an illustrated version, I stopped and explained things as needed. Overall they all seemed to enjoy it. But again - it was for exposure, no in-depth analysis!

We read it aloud for exposure only when kids were 7th grade ,5th ,and 2nd (maybe they were 8th, 6th, and 3rd - I don't remember).

We have an illustrated version, I stopped and explained things as needed. Overall they all seemed to enjoy it. But again - it was for exposure, no in-depth analysis!

Can you link the book by chance?

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for the late response. This is the edition we have.

When my son was in 5th grade he discovered this poem and fell in love with it. We never studied it though, and I am sure most of it went right over his head. A couple of years later I found the book that you have linked. It is on his desk right now (he is in 10th now). I guess we should actually study it at some point.

RhondaM.