Menu

10th Grade using Writing with Skill (special needs and need advice)

My oldest is technically going into 10th grade. He started Writing with Skill in 9th Grade. He is PDD-NOS and has been behind in some areas. He is behind because of OCD and irritable tendencies. Things like needed a certain pencil used to put him into horrible meltdowns. Now he just gets reminded to find his pencil or gasp he will often has it with his schoolwork for the day before. So, we are really catching up with these areas and hygiene. He was always an intelligent child.

I am trying to plan out the next 3-4 years. He may stay home or study an extra year. I have the latest edition of TWTM. But, I just KNOW everyone has some thoughts to share;)

One thing is for sure. He likes Vegan cupcakes and they were the only thing he requested for the menu this week:D

I used WWS with my 8th grader last year, so I have tried and liked WWS. But, my 10th grader is PDD-NOS and I just can't see it working for him. No two ASD kids are the same, so that might be of no concern at all to you. I'm trying to put a finger on what it was that I think is such a bad fit and I just can't do it. I like WWS. Dd & I are beta testing WWS2.

It was just...

I think it made a lot of logic leaps. You do A, then B, then it is assumed you can put it all together and make C. My ASD kid is highly gifted. He is at or above academic level in all subjects, but I think it would have caused major melt downs here.

Well, my ds gets that way when he gets gluten! Seriously---the pencil thing resonates as he is that way now..:glare: WWS looked great to me, and I thought it would be a good mix with IEW. But honestly, IEW just makes more sense, especially the theme based books. They are very systematic and predictable, which is what seems to work best with ds. He is pretty 'normal' unless he gets gluten, at which time he becomes very OCD and irritable. He likes routine and IEW fits the bill. I have used theme based quite successfully and only bought the Tips and Tricks DVD to get a base understanding of the program. WWS is a great program but if you need predictable structure and continuity until graduation, I highly recommend IEW. ;)

I am using WWS with my dyslexic son and so far he is doing well with it.

I really like IEW, I used it for my oldest 2 in middle school. Now I am doing WWS with 10th, 9th, and 7th graders. I plan to have them do IEW's Advanced Communication Series after WWS.

Edited by Lori in MS