Menu

We have discovered we are not beach people....

We would not be beach vacation people either.

We live 15 minutes from one of the "best beaches in the US" as reported on national news. It is in a small town on Lake Michigan. That said, we have taken the kids there exactly ZERO times this year so far. It has just been too hot. We like to go in the evenings when the crowds thin out and we can sit in the sand and watch the sunset while the kids build sand castles, play on the edge of the water, etc. We don't let them swim often as there are rip currents which can be very dangerous.

We do hit the boardwalk though early mornings or evenings with friends and walk along the channel, see the musical fountain, etc. I am just not a sweat in the sun on the hot sand with crowds of people all around me type of person.

We will camp at the beach in September when the crowds are way down and it is cooler.

I am definitely more of a mountain person. I *love* being on a cabin, high up in the mountains, with no one else around for miles. Breathing clean air. Only the sounds of nature.

It's relaxing just thinking about it!!! :D

(Just to prove it- I live about 20 minutes from Ocean City, and have been to the beach exactly zero times this year. :lol: Last year I went exactly- you guessed it, zero times. :tongue_smilie: )

I live in NJ, about 40 minutes from the beach. haven't been in years..

I hate the beach, I hate getting sand all over and the fact that sometimes a year after I'm still trying to get sand out of my truck. I'd honestly rather battle Disney during the summer rush than go to the beach.

we just got back from disney last week. loved it!! except the day at the water park.

we RV to disney and to the mountains. pre-pack our own food and reheat in the microwave.

Robin in NJ

I also did not enjoy the constant search for restaurants where Dd could eat without worrying about her seafood and nut allergies.

I'm :001_huh: that you would think managing a seafood allergy at the beach might add up to a relaxing vacation for you. I would imagine you were on high alert the whole time. :grouphug:

I'm :001_huh: that you would think managing a seafood allergy at the beach might add up to a relaxing vacation for you. I would imagine you were on high alert the whole time. :grouphug:

You're right, not relaxing. Dh convinced me the kids would enjoy it b/c we had a good time 4 years ago---but that was in early June when it wasn't that busy. I don't know what we were thinking. I kept the epis in my back pocket. We packed breakfast & lunch and pretty early on took a trip to the grocery store and started cooking dinner too.

I had a chicken caesar salad from a popular restaurant one night. They swore they cook everything separately. My entire meal, chicken included tasted like shrimp. I really think they are way too busy to have any idea if they are contaminating with allergens. Dd ate at Mc Donalds that night. Hand washing took on a whole new meaning, and suddenly Mc Donald's hamburgers became very desirable. :001_huh:

Dd adored seeing the wild ponies though. :001_smile: