Menu

Wondering if I could have broken my fingers?

I slammed the top of my fingers, the part above the top bend, on the bottom of my nail, about 1/2 hour ago. They were caught for about 10 seconds before I could get them out, and by the time I did, the nails were completely purple, the fingers were more than double their size, and I was screaming in pain (I've broken many bones & ruptured two discs in my back--takes a lot to make me react to pain).

I still can't even touch an ice bag wrapped in a towel because they hurt so much--but can you break anything in that part of your finger? &, if so, is there anything they could do for you at the hosp?

Thanks!

Well, there is a bit of bone up there, so in case you shattered it (!!!) you might need an x-ray. Decent pain meds, at least. Is there someone who could drive you?

You poor thing! I only slammed one finger once, so to catch so many - OUCH!!!:eek:

Oh noooo!!!I was injured like this when a spring broke in a clock I was repairing . You need to go in the nail matrix could be damaged, you might need a tetanus booster if the flesh was broken and for goodness sake pain meds are perfectly ok...I wish I could sit with you I know how much this hurts-please go in if for no other reason than splinting and pain relief. Best of luck

I have broken a finger right about that spot before. They gave me a splint. I went to an ortho for several checks to make sure I was able to use it properly. They gave me therapy exercises to do as well.

I did not go that night, but the next day. I was warming up for a volleyball game and caught it wrong, flipping the tip back. I thought I jammed it so I taped it up and played. It hurt! And it hurt the next day, so I went in and had it checked. It was fractured.

I hope you get some pain relief! Good luck!