Menu

Need book suggestions for ds5, put reads at 2nd grade or so...

Karenciavo

Anyone know of any readers that are in color? DS5 is reading through Elson Book 2 now, but he told me yesterday he's tired of black and white pictures. He may be able to read at a 2nd or 3rd grade level, but he doesn't have the stamina to read chapter books yet and that's why I prefer readers for now. Suggestions?

Thank you :)

Karen

'Frog and Toad are Friends' and others in the same series by Arnold Lobel.

If he would like a good old-fashioned adventure story where small children get to go to sea by themselves then he would love Edward Ardizzone's Little Tim books, for example 'Tim and Ginger'. These are have excellent pictures on each page but are also a challenging read.

The Bill Peet books are also excellent for a good, mature, reader who prefers pictures too. 'The Caboose Who Got Loose' is great, as is 'Fly Homer Fly' and 'No Such Things'.

If you can get the old Ladybird books second-hand they also have pictures on each page but are a good challenging read for this age. We have a Robin Hood series and the 'Well-loved Tales' such as 'The Princess and the Pea', 'The Elves and the Shoemaker' and 'Rapunzel' are outstanding.

Some editions of Roald Dahl's books have coloured illustrations on each page too. We have a beautiful copy of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.

I may think of more...

Best wishes,

Lorna

At that reading level, our boys really enjoyed a variety of the "stepped" readers (I Can Read; Step Into Reading; All Aboard Reading; DK Reader; etc.) They especially enjoyed the non-fiction titles -- things like "Greg's Microscope"; "Balto"; "Gargoyles"; "Giant Squid"; "Hill of Fire"; "Twisters"; and books about various animals; etc.

For fun fiction, they really enjoyed:

Fox series (Marshall)

PJ Funny Bunny series (Sadler)

Nate the Great series (Sharmat)

Commander Toad series (Yolan)

riddles series by Hall & Eisenberg

Aunt Eater series; Inspector Hopper (Cushman)

Detective Dinosaur series (Skofield)

Adventures of Snail at School (Stadler)

What a fun reading age! Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Anyone know of any readers that are in color? DS5 is reading through Elson Book 2 now, but he told me yesterday he's tired of black and white pictures. He may be able to read at a 2nd or 3rd grade level, but he doesn't have the stamina to read chapter books yet and that's why I prefer readers for now. Suggestions?

Thank you :)

Karen

Take a look at the Geronimo Stilton books. They are very colourful, and although they are "technically" chapter books, the print is large, the pictures plentiful, and they don't feel like a regular chapter book. Caveat: some might consider them twaddle. They helped my ds make the transition to chapter books though, simply because they weren't as daunting.

Take a look at the Geronimo Stilton books. They are very colourful, and although they are "technically" chapter books, the print is large, the pictures plentiful, and they don't feel like a regular chapter book. Caveat: some might consider them twaddle. They helped my ds make the transition to chapter books though, simply because they weren't as daunting.

Thank you. The preschool at my church is having a scholastic book fair this week, I'll see if they have any.