Menu

Vocabulary in reading material

tuzor

Word lists have their place, maybe as a separate part of language arts you could incorporate vocab from their read aloud but I wouldn't stop too much in the middle of reading a story just because it will kill the pleasure of a good story. :)

Even young children can learn alot of vocab just from context - it's a great skill to develop too!

Do you create a word list, make the child use in a sentence extra.

No. I define the word and move on, or we look it up in the dictionary together. Sometimes we discuss the meaning further. Sometimes I have them pronounce it. We encourage our kids to try to use a new word as they talk throughout the day, that's a great challenge for them!

We use our regular vocabulary for conversations too, and define words or restate them as we talk. This is my favorite method of teaching vocabulary, and it's been very effective for my kids.

Merry :-)

No. I define the word and move on, or we look it up in the dictionary together. Sometimes we discuss the meaning further. Sometimes I have them pronounce it. We encourage our kids to try to use a new word as they talk throughout the day, that's a great challenge for them!

We use our regular vocabulary for conversations too, and define words or restate them as we talk. This is my favorite method of teaching vocabulary, and it's been very effective for my kids.

Merry :-)

Thanks very helpful.

If there are SEVERAL words in your books, then define it at the moment, and keep reading, but you may consider:

1) Start a book of new words. Let your dd pick out a spiral notebook with her favorite color cover, and start writing down the words. She writes the words as you spell them, and you write the definition if that is more words than your second grader can do.

2) Consider Spelling Power as a spelling system. This spelling system incorporates vocabulary words from your other subjects into your child's spelling needs. The book is expensive, but it is the last spelling program you will ever buy; it can be used through high school. However, I would check out a copy from the library or borrow from a friend to learn the system before you plunk down money.

Reviews here.

3) Play "Magic Word" at dinnertime with your spouse.

Put one new vocabulary word on each index card.

Every night, as supper begins, choose a word.

Sometime during supper, Mom or Dad will use the word in conversation. Whichever child notices the pre-chosen word, they announce "Magic Word!!!" and define the word properly to win.....something. A nickel? An extra cookie for dessert? The opportunity to eat dessert at dinner? The pick of an after dinner game or tv show?

We do this with a set of SAT vocab cards with our oldest daughter.

If there are SEVERAL words in your books, then define it at the moment, and keep reading, but you may consider:

1) Start a book of new words. Let your dd pick out a spiral notebook with her favorite color cover, and start writing down the words. She writes the words as you spell them, and you write the definition if that is more words than your second grader can do.

2) Consider Spelling Power as a spelling system. This spelling system incorporates vocabulary words from your other subjects into your child's spelling needs. The book is expensive, but it is the last spelling program you will ever buy; it can be used through high school. However, I would check out a copy from the library or borrow from a friend to learn the system before you plunk down money.

Reviews here.

Sometime during supper, Mom or Dad will use the word in conversation. Whichever child notices the pre-chosen word, they announce "Magic Word!!!" and define the word properly to win.....something. A nickel? An extra cookie for dessert? The opportunity to eat dessert at dinner? The pick of an after dinner game or tv show?

Thanks I really like the word book and magic word ideas.

I tend to have a decent idea what words my kids know or don't know. So if I think they don't know a word or think they likely don't know a word, when I'm reading it I'll include the definition.

Let's say the word is humongous...

The very large and humongous house... (I add in the word large, etc.)

Or as others have said, stop and clarify or ask.

I put words my daughter can't read or doesn't know the definition of on index cards. If she doesn't know the meaning, I write "meaning" up in the upper left corner. We go through three new cards in the stack each day, as well as all the remaining cards in her word card envelope. If she can read it, she gets a check in the upper right corner. If she knows the definition, she gets a check in the upper left corner. The cards go into the word card envelope. Once she has three checks on each side, the card goes into an index card box we call her "word bank". We occasionally review those, and once she knows those, I consider them in her long-term memory and they go to our school tub.

HTH,

Kathy

I keep a large print dictionary handy at all time. My focus is on PRONUNCIATION of new words. Students are likely to encounter the word many times while reading and will often infer it's meaning, but are unlikely to learn to pronounce it right.

I do go over the meaning, but we spend more time mastering it's pronunciation, than it's meaning.

This is an awesome idea!