Menu

Anyone here row for exercise?

Dh and I are thinking about getting a rower to use for exercise. We both regularly workout (weights, run, bike, HIIT), but are just looking for something new to change things up. Dh has a friend that does indoor rowing competitively and got us intrigued on the idea. It appeals to us because it looks like it would be a full body workout and because it looks low impact. I have a family history of joint issues/arthritis, and have already begun to show signs of following the same path and know I need to find a way to continue to be active without damaging my joints.

If you row, what can you tell me about it? How long have you been doing it, do you enjoy it, what keeps you motivated to keep at it, what kind of results have you seen (endurance, muscles development, weight loss), any tips or warnings?

Thanks!

I only row as a warm up at the gym, so I'm not really an expert.

Rowing is a great exercise, but I have a more difficult time going hard enough to keep my heart rate up. Same thing w/an exercise bike. I can do it, but it's difficult for me to sustain. Jogging and using the elliptical both keep my heart rate seriously elevated.

My 12 year old loves the rower at the gym and has said she wishes we could get one. I bet that with consistent use, you'd have an amazing upper body physique, which you can't say for other equipment.

I'd make sure I could have a television in front of me b/c it does get monotonous. And you would need more space than for any other equipment.

My mom had a friend who was about 300 lbs overweight. He couldn't do any exercises other than rowing b/c of his knees. He ended up losing all the weight and is now a cyclist.

Laura

My trainer has me do intervals on the rower and I love it! It works EVERYTHING - back, arms, chest, legs, butt.

Today we did 10 intervals. 20 seconds as hard as I could go with a goal of going under a rate of 2.0 with a 40 second rest (slower rowing) in between. After 5 sets he had me do 50 pushups at varying inclines. Then we did the last 5 sets of intervals on the rower. It was hard. You can get a really good workout really fast on a rower. I don't know what laura means by not being able to get her heart rate up as I was working at 80-90% of my maximum heart rate.

If you are serious about getting one, do a lot of research and get a decent one. At the other gym I attend they have two rowers and they aren't as good. On one of them my butt didn't stay on the seat for some reason.

Good luck!

I only row as a warm up at the gym, so I'm not really an expert.

Rowing is a great exercise, but I have a more difficult time going hard enough to keep my heart rate up. Same thing w/an exercise bike. I can do it, but it's difficult for me to sustain. Jogging and using the elliptical both keep my heart rate seriously elevated.

My 12 year old loves the rower at the gym and has said she wishes we could get one. I bet that with consistent use, you'd have an amazing upper body physique, which you can't say for other equipment.

I'd make sure I could have a television in front of me b/c it does get monotonous. And you would need more space than for any other equipment.

My mom had a friend who was about 300 lbs overweight. He couldn't do any exercises other than rowing b/c of his knees. He ended up losing all the weight and is now a cyclist.

Laura

Thanks for the feedback. Good point about the space needed. According to the specs, we should have enough room in our exercise area, but it will make things a bit more cramped for other activities. Also, we don't currently have a tv in our area, but I think I could set up the computer and watch movies/slingbox from that to battle the monotony.

My trainer has me do intervals on the rower and I love it! It works EVERYTHING - back, arms, chest, legs, butt.

Today we did 10 intervals. 20 seconds as hard as I could go with a goal of going under a rate of 2.0 with a 40 second rest (slower rowing) in between. After 5 sets he had me do 50 pushups at varying inclines. Then we did the last 5 sets of intervals on the rower. It was hard. You can get a really good workout really fast on a rower. I don't know what laura means by not being able to get her heart rate up as I was working at 80-90% of my maximum heart rate.

If you are serious about getting one, do a lot of research and get a decent one. At the other gym I attend they have two rowers and they aren't as good. On one of them my butt didn't stay on the seat for some reason.

Good luck!

It is great to hear the positive reaction to rowing. I love the interval/pushup combo that your trainer has you do. That sounds like the kind of workout I usually enjoy.

What brand is the rower that you like? We are looking at the Concept 2 rowers. We've been told they are a really good piece of equipment and they have the added bonus of having a distributor here in China.

My dh has exercised on a Concept 2 out in the garage for 20 years. Yes, it is boring. Yes, it is hot (he uses a fan & no shirt). Yes, it works all kinds of muscles (esp. back).

If I were you, I would try it out at the gym first. Try to buy a used one on Craigslist--usually people don't wear out their exercise equipment.

It is a bit bulky (lengthwise), but he takes it apart each day so it doesn't block garage use.

I am, frankly, not coordinated enough to use it. Also it would need to be adjusted because I am much shorter than my dh. Too much of a pain for me to use.

However, he has BY FAR gotten his $$ out of it. There are also virtual races, and total miles rowed-type contests with other Concept 2 rowers across the nation. It has a screen with all kinds of stats on it if desired.

Hope it works for you!

Edited by Beth S

My dh has exercised on a Concept 2 out in the garage for 20 years. Yes, it is boring. Yes, it is hot (he uses a fan & no shirt). Yes, it works all kinds of muscles (esp. back).

If I were you, I would try it out at the gym first. Try to buy a used one on Craigslist--usually people don't wear out their exercise equipment.

It is a bit bulky (lengthwise), but he takes it apart each day so it doesn't block garage use.

I am, frankly, not coordinated enough to use it. Also it would need to be adjusted because I am much shorter than my dh. Too much of a pain for me to use.

However, he has BY FAR gotten his $$ out of it. There are also virtual races, and total miles rowed-type contests with other Concept 2 rowers across the nation. It has a screen with all kinds of stats on it if desired.

Hope it works for you!

Thanks Beth. It is great to know that the Concept 2 holds up..... 20 years is a long time.

Your comment about needing to adjust it because of your size raises a red flag with me. I too am much shorter than dh. I didn't know there was really any adjustment involved. I'll have to check into that some more. Getting to see one in person would be best, but there isn't a place that sells them within driving distance. If we buy one, we'll just have to order direct from the distributor and hope for the best.

Thanks!