Menu

Does anyone make some sort of quick GF bread? Flatbread? Tortillas? Sturdy biscuits?

When we're in need of a bread-y substance, I usually make biscuits with Pamela's mix (usually with herbs and cheese, yum!). However, the kids would like the occasional sandwich or mini pizza, and it's not really worth my making or buying a whole loaf for these occasions. Does anyone make any sort of quick thing to serve these purposes? Or, if you make biscuits, do you have any suggestions on how to toughen them up so they don't fall apart when we try to use them for sandwiches?

I make biscuits with GF Mama's Almond blend. I have a recipe on my blog. They're sturdy enough for butter and jam or gravy.

We keep Gillian's French Rolls in the freezer for me to defrost for a quickie sandwich, as well as Food for Life GF English muffins (I like the green package, multi seed w/flax ones best).

All GF bready substances live in the freezer until use here.

hmm, my flat bread isnt that fast . . .but i make a full batch and freeze it for other uses. My biscuits are pretty firm, but i dont use a mix. but if her recipe doesnt call for an egg, you could try subbing some of the liquid with egg and see if that helps.

i make sausage biscuits all the time . . or bacon and egg biscuits . . . and i have occasionally had a burger on my biscuits. last time I made them they came out so well my husband (who eats gluten) was pouting because he only got 1 leftover the next day for breakfast (i'd made them to go with a salad)

I use a recipe from "Brad's Basics" By Ginny Nehring. http://abebuyback.info/search/bookdetail/default.aspx?isbn=9780975261101

I often make a batch using half for pizza crusts and half for bread, rolls or focaccia. :)

Pizza Crust

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine:

1 packet Red Star Bread Machine Yeast

2 t. sugar

1 ¾ c lukewarm water

In a separate bowl, combine the following dry ingredients:

2 t. dough enhancer (Skip, if dairy is a problem.)

¼ cup sugar

1 ½ t. salt

2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder (Use Dari-Free powder if dairy is a problem)

2 cups Brown Rice Flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill, the recipe author uses Ener-G Foods brand)

2 cups Tapioca Flour (Ener-G Foods)

3 ½ t. xanthan gum

2 T. Flax meal (optional)

Blend dry ingredients, and dump into a mixer. Add wet ingredients:

Add 3 eggs, one at a time

1/4c melted butter (I use ghee, to avoid casein)

Yeast water (should be foamy by this time)

Mix on medium speed for about 3 minutes.

The dough will be the consistency of thick cake batter, not bread dough – it’s very wet.

Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Place about ¼ of the dough on the greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle liberally with tapioca flour.

Using your hands, gently pat the dough into the size and shape you prefer. Add more tapioca flour as necessary, so that the dough is not too sticky to pat out. Try to push the dough gently *outward* (not down) to thin it and even it out. (If you over pat the dough, it gets wrinkly and is less pliable when cooked.) If you prefer thick-crust pizza, allow the dough to rise before baking.

Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Freeze any crusts that you won’t use immediately.

When you’re ready to have pizza, take the crust out of the freezer, brush the edges with olive oil, add toppings, and bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted/bubbly.

This same recipe will make rolls and fococcia, too.

For rolls, drop bun-sized portions of dough into a greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. I let mine rise for a while before baking, but it’s not necessary. (These can be done on a cookie sheet, but I used a popover pan to make rolls, and it worked well.)

For focaccia, add 2 T of fresh herbs (rosemary, oregano, basil, etc.), 1/2c finely shredded parmesan or cheddar cheese, 1/4t red pepper flakes and 2 cloves garlic (crushed) into the dough. Dump ¼ portion of dough into a brownie pan or pie pan, and allow it to rise awhile if preferred. Brush the dough with olive oil, then bake for 8-12 minutes at 400 degrees. If the dough needs more time to bake, poke a few holes in the dough and brush it with additional olive oil if preferred.

Crusts, rolls and focaccia will keep well frozen. The pizza crusts can be folded in half even after being frozen and thawed -- IOW, they're not cracker-like; they're flexible like normal crusts. :)

I've got various things on my blog linked below. The biscuits are just simple drop biscuits and like many GF things they're great the first day and not very good after that.

Every 2 weeks or so I make a double batch of my GF yeasted waffles (they are the waffles pictured in my avatar). I freeze them and we just take out 1 as needed, nuke it just a touch, cut it in half, and then toast it - then use it for sandwiches, for eggs & "toast", or other similar things. The kids and I just had waffle-wiches tonight actually after the dinner I made turned out horrid lol.