Menu

Would Happy Phonics offer anything in addition to....

alisoncooks

....the programs/games I already have?

I am interested in Happy Phonics for my 6yo (I also have a 4yo following quickly behind her.)

We are currently using (loosely) OPGTR, ClickNRead Phonics, Starfall, Bloomfield's Let's Read readers (for fluency practice), ETC.

I have the Evan Moor "Take it to your seat phonics centers" for PreK and K, which cover the following topics through phonics center activities:

visual discrimination

rhyming words

identifying like letters

recognizing & matching upper- & lowercase letters

listening for initial consonant sounds

listening for final consonant sounds

word families

short vowels

counting syllables

We also have the file folder games from AAR LEVEL 1.

So....is Happy Phonics so fabulous that I absolutely MUST add it to my phonics arsenal? Or pass? (I have a wiggly girl who despises writing and I'm trying to separate our current reading/writing times.)

Happy Phonics shines at teaching the phonograms in the context of real words.

I've used this with 3 dc, and *often* it's one time through a game and that phonogram sound is known. A few times through the game and the child is reading pretty much any word containing that phonogram (barring any LD...which I have experienced;)...even with the LD, it is no longer learning the phonograms that trips us up).

You will probably find some overlap between Happy Phonics and the Evan Moore centers. (I can't say for sure as I don't have the Evan Moore book.) Happy Phonics has some nice phonemic awareness games.

I would use Happy Phonics instead of the computer programs and ETC.

Shew! Glad to hear some more positive feedback -- since I'd already hit purchase, LOL.

DD does like games and it is such a chore to get her to do any ETC pages... so I think this will replace that, for sure.

So if Happy Phonics covers up to approx. 4th grade, would you say that it is as complete in scope/sequence/content as OPGTR? Or are they 2 completely different things... (DD has not been pleased with our OPGTR-time, though I do use letter tiles, white boards, etc. to help it along...)