Menu

Civil Air Patrol...anyone have children in this? I have an attendance ?

My son's goal is to go to the USAFA out of high school. To help reach this goal he has joined Civil Air Patrol and wants to be there every single week plus extra activities they do. It is about 28 miles from our house and easily uses $10 in gas to get there and back home. It's an expense we can't afford. I've already had to shell out $200 in uniform and dues.

My thought is having him go 2 -3 times a month. Twice being my ideal. He's upset about that, but I'm wondering if he can still advance and be in good standing if he goes less. I mean, I drove there once...I was very sick...because they had a "special activity" I didn't want him to miss it because they said it was "not to be missed." Um, they watched The Right Stuff. A movie! I was so upset. Anyway...I'm just wondering if any other parents who have children involved in this think it would be ok to go less and would it hurt him. TIA.

I do think the point is to go to every meeting and by being more nvolved etc. Is there a way you can do errands on the night he is at CAP? Maybe make that your food shopping/library day?

We are blessed to live @ 5 minutes from the small airport my kids CAP group is at, but I understand!

Is this your 14 year old? If the money is the biggest problem, he seems at an age where he could get a job to contribute some money for gas and CAP extras. I would think it would only take one or two lawns to mow in the neighborhood, or cars to wash each week to make that $10 a week. I wouldn't be-grudge him the time commitment itself since you did say he could join. But with gas prices so high, I'm sure he would understand that he needs to help chip in!

I like the idea of having him work to pay for the gas. That will teach him so much beyond the actual getting of gas money. I think that is beyond a wonderful idea!!

My children were going to join CAP and I might do this with them.

My two oldest are in Civil Air Patrol and I think it would be worth the gas and the time to get your son there every week and to the special activities. When we first started I definitely did not think like that - I felt put upon to have to drive there and shell out money for the gas and stuff. Both my boys mowed lawns and worked a local greenhouse and have paid for everything themselves except for the gas. They are both driving now so are paying for their gas now.

Looking back with 20/20 hindsight vision I think CAP was the best thing that ever happened to my boys. They have grown into strong leaders who are not afraid to get their hands dirty. My oldest recently was awarded the highest cadet honor, The Carl A. Spaatz award. My second oldest is the Cadet Commander of his squadron. They both have earned many Red Cross certifications, are certified ground team search and rescue leaders with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, have no trouble speaking in public, and have no trouble volunteering whenever they see there is a need (anywhere, not just in CAP). My oldest is no longer a cadet, but is now a Senior Member and is also a certified Red Cross Instructor.

Not only that, they have both been able to participate in National Activities as well. My oldest participated in the International Cadet Exchange program and spent several weeks in Canada visiting with Air Cadets there and seeing the sights. My second oldest has been to Blue Beret in Wisconsin helping with the air show in Oshkosh - he even met Harrison Ford and had his picture taken with him:). He has gone to New Mexico to participate the Pararescue Orientation activity and to Georgia to Cadet Officer School. These activities are relatively inexpensive for what my boys got out of them.

The way to get the most out of CAP is to put your whole heart into it. Your son needs to be at every meeting because each meeting has a different emphasis. Squadrons typically rotate through Physical Training, Emergency Services, Moral Leadership, and one other that I can't think of at this moment. Testing for promotions also happens only on certain nights and you cannot get promoted just by passing tests - you have to attend the meetings.

Here is a link to an article about my son written by a local reporter on the occasion of his winning the Spaatz award. I share this to give you an idea of the kind of person he has become and that I think CAP had a lot to do with it.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/032008/03252008/364556

My two oldest are in Civil Air Patrol and I think it would be worth the gas and the time to get your son there every week and to the special activities. When we first started I definitely did not think like that - I felt put upon to have to drive there and shell out money for the gas and stuff. Both my boys mowed lawns and worked a local greenhouse and have paid for everything themselves except for the gas. They are both driving now so are paying for their gas now.

Looking back with 20/20 hindsight vision I think CAP was the best thing that ever happened to my boys. They have grown into strong leaders who are not afraid to get their hands dirty. My oldest recently was awarded the highest cadet honor, The Carl A. Spaatz award. My second oldest is the Cadet Commander of his squadron. They both have earned many Red Cross certifications, are certified ground team search and rescue leaders with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, have no trouble speaking in public, and have no trouble volunteering whenever they see there is a need (anywhere, not just in CAP). My oldest is no longer a cadet, but is now a Senior Member and is also a certified Red Cross Instructor.

Not only that, they have both been able to participate in National Activities as well. My oldest participated in the International Cadet Exchange program and spent several weeks in Canada visiting with Air Cadets there and seeing the sights. My second oldest has been to Blue Beret in Wisconsin helping with the air show in Oshkosh - he even met Harrison Ford and had his picture taken with him:). He has gone to New Mexico to participate the Pararescue Orientation activity and to Georgia to Cadet Officer School. These activities are relatively inexpensive for what my boys got out of them.

The way to get the most out of CAP is to put your whole heart into it. Your son needs to be at every meeting because each meeting has a different emphasis. Squadrons typically rotate through Physical Training, Emergency Services, Moral Leadership, and one other that I can't think of at this moment. Testing for promotions also happens only on certain nights and you cannot get promoted just by passing tests - you have to attend the meetings.

Here is a link to an article about my son written by a local reporter on the occasion of his winning the Spaatz award. I share this to give you an idea of the kind of person he has become and that I think CAP had a lot to do with it.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/032008/03252008/364556

Thanks for posting how CAP has affected your sons. My ds9 has expressed interest in this program already. So wonderful to hear such positives as I was thinking 12 is too young to start this up. Maybe not.