Menu

Not whooping cough. Bronchitis/Pneumonia. Prednisone ??

So. After coughing constantly all weekend, and feeling like dirt today, I went to the walk-in clinic.

Pneumonia starting in my right lung, with bronchial irritation (bronchitis?)

I had a breathing treatment and a shot of steroids. (1 cc, not too much)

Came home and started on an antibiotic (levofloxacin) and am to start prednisone in the morning - 60 mg tomorrow, 50 mg next day, tapering off from there for 6 days.

But now I'm FREAKING OUT about the side effects of prednisone. What are my options, though? My cough is SO bad. . . . . .

Someone tell me I won't die???

Or give me an alternative. . . . .

The prednisone will make you feel so much better, and help you heal faster! I felt the same way when my doc gave me advair when I had bronchitis a few years ago. Was NOT going to take it. I didn't feel that bad after all. Then 2 days later, I thought I was going to die. I took it. I felt so much better; it made a world of difference.

Take the prednisone. The dose you are getting will not cause the kinds of side effects you are probably concerned about. It will calm the inflammation in your lungs and prevent further complications such as a partially collapsed lung.

If you have concerns about the cost/benefit balance of what your doc has prescribed (I think you said it was a clinic?) call your regular Doc or ask the pharmacist. They'll be more qualified to give you advice than any of us!

Take the prednisone. The dose you are getting will not cause the kinds of side effects you are probably concerned about. It will calm the inflammation in your lungs and prevent further complications such as a partially collapsed lung.

If you have concerns about the cost/benefit balance of what your doc has prescribed (I think you said it was a clinic?) call your regular Doc or ask the pharmacist. They'll be more qualified to give you advice than any of us!

:iagree: my middle son has taken prednisone for asthma attacks a few times, and he has never had bad side effects. My youngest took another steroid for 5 days every month for 3 years, and he is fine. He was on a very high dose even. Pharmasicists usually have a good bit of info on side effects too, so never hestiate to call.