Menu

UU sunday school and youth programs?

Can anyone tell me about typical youth experiences in UU churches. As DS enters the tween and teen years I really feel like we could use the benefits of a positive structured peer group focused on morals, ethics, and decision making.

The problem is that I am ecclecticly agnostic, and DH strongly leans towards eastern traditions.

We just aren't comfortable with a mainstream Christian church. I like that UU church is welcoming to all, focuses on ethics and service to others, and social justice, and we are seriously considering becoming involved...

Any first hand experiences?

It's called RE (Religious Education) in UU churches. Most youth groups seem to attend the main service for about half the time and do their own activities for about half the time. I can speak more to the younger kids program than the youth program though, so maybe someone can offer more experience. One of the most well-known aspects of the UU youth groups program is the sex ed curriculum Our Whole Lives, which is offered to teens and is a great program. From what you say about your beliefs, a UU church could be a good fit. However, different UU congregations can be very different. I know I wouldn't want to attend my in-laws' UU church (and they probably wouldn't like ours).

UU churches vary quite a bit depending if they are a more formal "church" or a "fellowship." We belong to a fellowship; however, we still use the curricula from the national organization.

This should give you a flavor of the curricula used to see if you are comfortable with it. http://uua.org/re/index.shtml

We cycle through all religions, including atheism and secular humanism, learning from each. Mostly, we are about community, social action, learning about all cultures, and including all people. We adore our UU church, even though it's small, it is a haven for us. :)

I've been to two different UU churches, and they were somewhat different. Both churches were pretty welcoming to alternatives, but some UU churches are more christian and some are more secular humanist. each RE program is going to be somewhat different. The teen groups sometimes meet during services and sometime meet later in the day (so teens can either attend services or sleep in . . . ). Oddly, my kids had trouble really clicking with the kids at either church, which really surprised me, but its definitely worth checking out any UU churches within a reasonable driving distance!

We have two UU congregations here, one is huge, called All souls, the other one is on the other side of town and I don't know much about it. The one near us is very open and liberal, although I would likely attend the early service because the later service is louder, more crowded and includes a full gospel choir. The church adopted a congregation whose minister had previously been evangelical, had a revelation that he didn't believe in he and that all good people were "saved" no matter their beliefs. He was excommunicated from his demonination and lost his physical church.

I love that the churches have joined, but coming from an ultra liberal Presbyterian mother, and 12 years of catholic school, instruments and full on gospel choir makes me a little itchy.

There is also a Quaker meeting in town, but it is very small and won't have the oppurtunities as a large church

We have two UU congregations here, one is huge, called All souls, the other one is on the other side of town and I don't know much about it. The one near us is very open and liberal, although I would likely attend the early service because the later service is louder, more crowded and includes a full gospel choir. The church adopted a congregation whose minister had previously been evangelical, had a revelation that he didn't believe in he and that all good people were "saved" no matter their beliefs. He was excommunicated from his demonination and lost his physical church.

I love that the churches have joined, but coming from an ultra liberal Presbyterian mother, and 12 years of catholic school, instruments and full on gospel choir makes me a little itchy.

I heard the story of All Souls not long ago. Super interesting! Gospel Choir every week? Wow! Our church has extremely diverse music offerings. Our UU church is actually one of the larger UU churches in the country too, and there's another large one within 10 miles of us too. Combined we might be about as big as All Souls. :001_smile:

Anyway, I've been particularly impressed with the kid's programming available at our church. The link someone else posted is good background. OP - you could potentially feel very at home in our UU church with your backgrounds. I hope you find a good fit!

In Utah, a couple of the families in my homeschool group attended the local UU congregation. The one thing that I remember the high school aged kids doing in RE was kind of a comparative religions course where they studied/visited/had guest speakers from a variety of traditions/beliefs, and then were challenged to reflect on what aspects of the ideas they were exposed to resonated with them and then write their own profession of faith. It was a multi-year program, IIRC.

I heard the story of All Souls not long ago. Super interesting! Gospel Choir every week? Wow! Our church has extremely diverse music offerings. Our UU church is actually one of the larger UU churches in the country too, and there's another large one within 10 miles of us too. Combined we might be about as big as All Souls. :001_smile:

Anyway, I've been particularly impressed with the kid's programming available at our church. The link someone else posted is good background. OP - you could potentially feel very at home in our UU church with your backgrounds. I hope you find a good fit!

I have decided we will visit this Wednesday for their informal service, and maybe the Sunday after this one, since we will be out of town next weekend.

I know that a larger church will have more things going on, and more kids in their programs, but I also worry about being a little bit lost in the crowd, so we will probably spend some time visiting the smaller one as well, even though it is across town.