Menu

Lunch ideas

What do you usually make for lunch on school days?  

1. 1. What do you usually make for lunch on school days?

• Sandwiches or other typical kid friendly quick lunch fixes
    • No plan, we wing it, it varies
    • I have a lunch menu planned and make my lunches accordingly
    • I make left overs so we can have them for lunch the next day
    • I make hot lunch from scratch

I've tried lemon juice, but lemon juice on apples is not a good taste.

Put them in a ziplock with (non-diet) 7-Up, and then squeeze out as much air as possible. Or drizzle them with a little orange juice. I used OJ in fruit salad, and it will stay in the fridge well without turning brown.

Ginger ale works well too!

Usually, I'll make soup, pasta or a casserole from scratch for lunch and we'll eat the remainder for dinner with extra rice or salad or something.

My thinking is that cooking is enjoyable for me, so taking 30 minutes or so to prep lunch is relaxing and taking an hour total for lunch is a nice break from school, giving us the stamina to finish up science and geography!

By the time dinner prep time rolls around, I don't care about food anymore and am glad I can reheat and serve. I don't enjoy cooking that much! :D

I've seen this thread on the MFW Board and thought it would be fun to have a thread of ideas for this board in sight of a new academic year approaching. It would be nice if it were on going.

1)What do you typically make you and kids for lunch during school days?

2) Do you have a set plan for lunch or just wing it?

3) Do you have any creative ideas for lunch recipes you could share?

4) For those of you with menu plans, do you have any tips about menu planning in general? If so, please share

;) Thanks!

My personality is very feast or famine about EVERYTHING. This includes food. Luckily, I make and stash enough during my manic phases to get through the sluggy days. I also change what I make according to season. We'd NEVER be happy with two weeks of menus that get rotated. We might be on a sushi kick, or have burritos for a few meals. Soup is a whole season. Tuna and chicken salads are summer foods to me. I might make a gallon of red sauce and go into a serious pasta mode. Sometimes it's grilled meats on salads, or homemade pizzas.

Generally I do my cooking sometime between 3 and 6, so mainly prepping dinners. My family doesn't care for leftover dinners, though, so leftovers are eaten at lunch by me and the non-picky kid. I'll do quick from-scratch lunches, but usually we've just finished school, it's 2 p.m., and we want to eat immediately. Sometimes my son wants homemade pizza badly enough to work independently while I do the dough, but our normal school routine has us both at the table the whole time.

So it's

Breakfast - typical ingredients keeps on hand

Lunch - wing it/leftovers/whatever

Dinner - planned menu

Edited by KungFuPanda