Menu

Birthday party issues

DD10 will turn 11 in two days. For the first time in many, many years, we have the finances to throw her a party where she can invite friends. She's excited. The problem is that we live in a small town where there is no place to hold a party. I am not at all interested in parties where we (or the guests) drive an hour to get there and an hour to get back. Pizza Hut has a side room for rent, but dd is gluten free and is not at all interested in a pizza party where everyone else is eating something different than she is eating.

I'm thinking about a slumber party, but her "must have" guest list is around 20. I realize that not everyone can attend, but I'm cautious enough to think that maybe we shouldn't anticipate that many no-shows. Additionally, one of her best friends (a must-invite) does not get along with some of the other girls (both crushing on the same boy, etc). I'm not sure that too much time together is a good thing although I would think that good manners would keep her from making a scene and snubbing one of the other girls.

I can't think of anything else that we can do. I've thought about manicures, but I'm not sure that it would take up enough time. My mother lives on the acreage next door and has offered to take care of cooking out hamburgers/hot dogs (or provide breakfast the next day if we do a slumber party). If I could count on the weather, we could do a huge scavenger hunt outside.

Should I try for lots of outside activities? (Horseshoes, croquet, not sure what else) and cooking out? Or try to do girly things (manicures and hairstyles). Any suggestions? Most of the girls will be 10 - 12 yrs old. We will have a few stragglers who are 5 - 9 and I plan to let them play dress up in the house with my youngest.

I would love some ideas. I am only creative once the ball starts rolling.

I would do it at home if I were you. Spending money does not necessarily make a great party.

Manicures are fun. Can some of the moms or a cadre of local teens come do it? Maybe along with the manis they could have face painting, followed by lots of silly photos.

Love the scavenger hunt idea.

The only way a group that large works well is if a strong leader dictates the course of events. As soon as you say, "What would you like to do next?" you will have twenty different opinions. Go ahead and have a big group over IF AND ONLY IF you or your dh feels comfortable running the schedule and events like a smiling military drill sergeant.

I would do it at home if I were you. Spending money does not necessarily make a great party.

Manicures are fun. Can some of the moms or a cadre of local teens come do it? Maybe along with the manis they could have face painting, followed by lots of silly photos.

Love the scavenger hunt idea.

The only way a group that large works well is if a strong leader dictates the course of events. As soon as you say, "What would you like to do next?" you will have twenty different opinions. Go ahead and have a big group over IF AND ONLY IF you or your dh feels comfortable running the schedule and events like a smiling military drill sergeant.

:iagree: 100%!! (Especially with the bolded.)

The best birthday my now 16yod had was when she turned 10yo. She got dressed up and I then took her around to her friend's houses to pick them up. We all went out for breakfast then back to my house for some games, a craft (painted flower pots) and cake. Everyone was dropped off by me and that was it! Loads of fun, lots of giggles and laughter from the girls who were so excited to be going out to eat...good memories.

We then had the rest of the day to celebrate her bday with just our family.