Menu

Did you disappoint you parents at some point?

My father loved me unconditionally. My mother OTOH...... :glare: The thing is, my mom wanted LESS for me than I am. Let me backup - first she wanted me to be the best at everything. When she discovered that was impossible she shot me down on everything I did in life. She wanted me to go to the public high school instead of the honors one that I went to, she didn't want me to go to college, she didn't want me to get married, she didn't want me to get a good job, she basically doesn't want me to be happy. And so she's disappointed that I am. :glare:

:grouphug::grouphug: to all of you. My family has its quirks and we have had our rough times (my folks divorced after 30 years of marriage.) However, but the love has always been unconditional and unquestioning. I wish that for all of you.

Yes, but not for the reasons you would expect. Just a few of their complaints over the years:

I don't live on welfare as a career choice, (they think I work too hard).

I don't use public schools.

I push my kids too hard.

I shouldn't have let ds compete in swimming (the $$ made me work more to pay for it).

I take dd5 to therapy and 'air family business' (yep, I do think her doctors do need to know that her mom was on drugs/alcohol when she was PG) :glare:

I could go on for days. My mom is an enabler and didn't want us to succeed and outgrow her. Since I'm independent and don't need her to solve all my problems, I am all but worthless in her eyes.

My mother loved me unconditionally and was very proud of me. As a child I am sure she had little disappointments about my behavior and the silly stuff I did at times.

I guess I have not disappointed my dad in any serious way but my relationship to my dad is not exactly father-daughter. He is pretty selfish and self involved to the point I don't think he really could be disappointed in any serious way because he is not paying that much attention to me. Thankfully he is a better grandfather than father, otherwise we might not even talk to each other. I don't hate him but he is just not interested enough to be disappointed or proud. He is with his grandkids, weird, right?

Yep I did.

I wasn't popular enough or pretty enough. I was fat. I married at 18. I didn't marry somebody from the south. I went to school to be a teacher vs something impressive and important. I cut my hair short. I only taught at a small private school. I didn't have biological children. I adopted. I have a multi-racial family. I listen to evil music.

Yep, definitely did.