Menu

I'm rethinking my 9th grade lit plans...

I've read lots of threads on 9th grade lit but am in need of advice and possible direction.

We'd planned on using an e-text that DH selected. I've never really been completely on board with it. After attending the hs convention this weekend, I'm wondering if it would be better to give DS a list of reading options, topics, themes, etc. and let him select what he wants to do this year. We don't like in-depth analysis guides like Progeny Press, but I could use SparkNotes to make my own guides and writing assignments if I need to.

Here's a breakdown of the reading assignments in our e-text and what they focus on. Do you think this is adequate? Should I toss out parts/all of it and put together my own? What are some good alternatives if I take something out?

(All readings do include comprehension questions in addition to writing assignments.)

SS - The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell

focusing on writing short summaries

SS - The Necklace by Guy de Mauppusant

business letter

SS - The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe

effective paragraphs, rewriting from different POV

SS - The Sniper by Liam O’Flaherty

identifying purpose of theme

Novel - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

theme as entertainment, deeper dive into theme and character analysis

SS - The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe

narratives, deeper dive into plot elements, symbolism, allegories

SS - Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne

symbolism, reading comprehension, personal response

Novel - The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

comprehension, response

Play - Romeo and Juliet

comprehension, response

Novel - The Odyssey

character development, moral, setting, plot summary, writing an epic story

Research Paper using self-selected topic

SS - The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

sacrifice

SS - The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

personification

Novel - Great Expectations

detailed comprehension and response, grammar review, understanding characters' internal motives.

My intent with this was to make it optional, and if he went into the book with an A average and then completed ALL the writing assignments, comp/discussion question options, and whatever else is considered "extra" for it with A's, I'd give him honors credit for the course.

That's a very fine progression, and in fact a lot of it is stuff I read in freshman english when I was a kid. Why screw up a good framework? The themes they're pulling out seem right on. Are you afraid he won't like the works? Many of those are just plain enjoyable, not really limited by taste. If you think, say, he won't enjoy The Odyssey, then do that on audio. You could mix it up a bit like that. Overall it sounds really good. I'd just go with it. Why reinvent the wheel?

Admittedly, I haven't taught freshman english myself. Where did you find it? Have a link? I'm wondering what other goodies are at that place. :)

That's a very fine progression, and in fact a lot of it is stuff I read in freshman english when I was a kid. Why screw up a good framework? The themes they're pulling out seem right on. Are you afraid he won't like the works? Many of those are just plain enjoyable, not really limited by taste. If you think, say, he won't enjoy The Odyssey, then do that on audio. You could mix it up a bit like that. Overall it sounds really good. I'd just go with it. Why reinvent the wheel?

Admittedly, I haven't taught freshman english myself. Where did you find it? Have a link? I'm wondering what other goodies are at that place. :)

Thanks! It's the 9th grade LA from http://www.completecurriculum.com. We're also planned to use their world history and earth science this year for DS14. I'll be supplementing the earth science with video series on Netflix and brief papers on what he's learning to get him used to science writing and up it to a high school level course. Not sure if I'll supplement the world history; it seems pretty thorough on its own.

Honestly, I think I'm so worried that I'm going to screw this up that I'm creating issues where they don't really exist. I've looked at my lit syllabus at least a dozen times this summer and it was only after I typed it out this morning that I realized it's not as bad as my brain kept saying it was. I think what I need to do is for the first few weeks is step back to a junior high level in order to ensure he really comprehends the basics and help re-build his self-confidence level.

Thanks! It's the 9th grade LA from http://www.completecurriculum.com. We're also planned to use their world history and earth science this year for DS14. I'll be supplementing the earth science with video series on Netflix and brief papers on what he's learning to get him used to science writing and up it to a high school level course. Not sure if I'll supplement the world history; it seems pretty thorough on its own.

Honestly, I think I'm so worried that I'm going to screw this up that I'm creating issues where they don't really exist. I've looked at my lit syllabus at least a dozen times this summer and it was only after I typed it out this morning that I realized it's not as bad as my brain kept saying it was. I think what I need to do is for the first few weeks is step back to a junior high level in order to ensure he really comprehends the basics and help re-build his self-confidence level.

Thanks for the link. I had never heard of that. And that bolded part is too true! We all do this. But seriously, it looks good, and the way you have of starting with their framework and making it pop with netflix and things is great. :)