Menu

If you homeschool in FL, how do you register?

I'm wondering which option for homeschooling here in Florida is the best way to go.

I am currently registered with the county and have a yearly evaluation. I recently discovered umbrella schools and I am now starting to think that this is a better option for homeschooling.

The private school that I am looking to sign up with only requires an attendance sheet to be filled in.

How are you registered and why?

I'm wondering if I am having a case of the grass is greener, or are private schools a better option than the county.

I am registered with the county. We do the yearly standardized test rather than an evaluation.

I use the county because I plan to utilize the public schools for after-school activities when the children are older (sports and music) and because I plan to send the children to UF while in high school. I do not know how that works when you are registered with an umbrella school. But I do know I have access to all of these opportunities when I am registered with the county. :)

I am registered with the county also. We do yearly standardized tests for evaluations also.

My high school son is now dual-enrolled with a high school (drama and driver's ed...and will be running cross country) and the community college (intermediate algebra and French).

I like being in charge of my own destiny! It works for us!

Good luck with your researching.

I use an umbrella school because we began homeschooling in CT where there was no regulation and I was used to being left alone and not dealing with the school system. However, I haven't met anyone else who uses an umbrella school here. And I had a mom tell me that if people don't register with the county and let them hold us accountable, we're giving homeschoolers a bad name...something like that. Anyway, my opinion is that homeschooling is my business and I don't want to be held accountable by the state.

I use an umbrella school - and while we aren't counted as "true" homeschoolers, well, i'll get over it! LOL!!

We can dual enroll at the CC if we want to, i wouldn't allow my children to do anything at the highschool anyway (or i'd be apt to send them there). My Youngest is receiving Speech Services thru the school District, we aren't sure what happens when she turns school age. If i have to put her in with the county to continue - we will cross that bridge when the time comes. But they know us as HS'ers at the school, we aren't expecting an issue (the speech teacher and I - we have talked about it).

I do best with the least interference as possible..... this works for us!

We are currently registered with the county and do an evaluation at the end of the year. I am considering an umbrella school next year because my oldest has test anxiety and I don't know any evaluators that do mid/high school (although I could find them if I looked hard or at all).