Menu

What course to take for Math?

Ds16 has decided to homeschool the rest of high school (he's a junior). He has always been a good, but not gifted, math student. In 8th he did Chalkdust Algebra I, 9th easy Geometry class in school, 10th very tough combined Algebra II/Trig class in school. He struggled with that class, making a C first semester and a B- second semester. Now I don't know what to do with him. This summer we have done some Algebra II review with the Larson text. He was supposed to take non-Honors Calculus at the public school. What should he take now? I am leaning toward a Precalculus class, with review of Alg II. He could take Calculus, but I am afraid he will have trouble with it, with gaps from last year. I'm thinking of either Chalkdust or Thinkwell. Any ideas?

I can't tell where he is from that description, but in my opinion, basic readiness for calculus is provided by mastery of (working the problems in) Harold Jacobs' Elementary algebra and Geometry books. Maybe i will write a brief calculus book here sometime soon.

Yes, a precalc course will be perfect for JR year, allowing him to be solidly prepared for calc in SR year. I'd never jump to calc if Alg2/trig was a struggle when you have plenty of time for a precalc class!

I can't vouch for any particular programs for pre-calc, but so far I've been happy with Life of Fred, Art of Problem Solving (amazing but tough), and to a lesser extent Thinkwell (fundamentals, but more formulaic than I like).

Thanks for your replies.

Do you think his transcript would look weird with 10th grade HON ALG II/T and 11th grade Precalculus? I don't want colleges to think he's doing the same work (although he would be...). These decisions were a lot easier when he was younger!

No -- that's not at all an unusual combination.

Thanks for your replies.

Do you think his transcript would look weird with 10th grade HON ALG II/T and 11th grade Precalculus? I don't want colleges to think he's doing the same work (although he would be...). These decisions were a lot easier when he was younger!

I don't think this would be a problem, but consider this:

A really solid grounding calc, by taking your time, will get you a great score on the math section of the SAT, and then the college won't care how you did it.

I talked to Ds about taking Precalculus instead of Calculus, and he agrees that he could use the extra year. I also ordered the Chalkdust SAT review to prep for the PSAT and SAT. I think he might also take the SAT Subject test at some point, as well. He can do Calculus next year. It is more important to have a good foundation. I love the flexibility of homeschooling!