Menu

Biking with the kids - options?

I have a bike trailer for the boys, and we love it. But we're really pushing the weight limit on the thing, and DS5 isn't comfortable enough on his own bike to really go anywhere. The younger will be 3 this week, and is at the weight/height/age limit for front and center seats. So those aren't an option. I have considered a rear seat for him and a tagalong for DS5, but wonder if it's just too much of a safety risk. Any ideas? Or do I just have to wait until DS5 is a better biker?

Look into a trail gator. That is what we use with my son. You attach a bike you already have. We attach the trail gator to my husbands bike and I haul the younger two in a trailer.

I thought about the trail gator too. Would I be able to use it if DS3 was in a rear seat at the same time?

My dad is an avid cyclist and he has been adamant that his granddaughter will never ride in a front or rear seat the risks are too great in a crash will no protection and no way to roll off the bike.

May I suggest a kiddie train...attach a trail a bike to your bike for the 5 year old, he can then pedal if he wants and is in a riding position similar to on his own bike. The attach the trailer you currently own for the 3 year old by himself to the trail a bike. This webpage has the picture of the set up. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=60247

I was reading in a book on getting kids outdoors that the author hitched one of those one wheel trailers and then attached the bike trailer. It was very long and not great on tight corners but they said it worked.

My dad is an avid cyclist and he has been adamant that his granddaughter will never ride in a front or rear seat the risks are too great in a crash will no protection and no way to roll off the bike.

May I suggest a kiddie train...attach a trail a bike to your bike for the 5 year old, he can then pedal if he wants and is in a riding position similar to on his own bike. The attach the trailer you currently own for the 3 year old by himself to the trail a bike. This webpage has the picture of the set up. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=60247

I wondered if this would work and be safe! Great! I will start trolling craigslist for a trail a bike, I think.

I was reading in a book on getting kids outdoors that the author hitched one of those one wheel trailers and then attached the bike trailer. It was very long and not great on tight corners but they said it worked.

Thanks! What book, btw?

We have one of these and love it-got ours from a garage sale for $30.

I hope I can find such a good deal!

Thanks, all!

I have a bike trailer for the boys, and we love it. But we're really pushing the weight limit on the thing, and DS5 isn't comfortable enough on his own bike to really go anywhere. The younger will be 3 this week, and is at the weight/height/age limit for front and center seats. So those aren't an option. I have considered a rear seat for him and a tagalong for DS5, but wonder if it's just too much of a safety risk. Any ideas? Or do I just have to wait until DS5 is a better biker?

Yes, way too big a risk to try this, plus I don't think it's physically possible on one bike.

Two options:

1. Tag-along on one adult bike, trailer on second adult bike.

2. Trailer on one adult bike, 5 year old cycles his own bike, and you bike shorter distances when it's just one adult available for a ride.

Before you know it, they will be older and stronger. Be patient through this season.

Thanks again, everyone! I did some more searching on the wonderful web. If anyone has $400 burning a whole in her pocket, there is a hitch called the FollowMe Tandem that hooks your kid's bike to your rear axle. So conceptually, there would still be space for a rear mounted child seat on the same adult bike. I can't find one used for sale anywhere, so I may have to start following Swiss ebay or something. ;) It will be cheaper to buy DH a used bike, I guess. He's just not available to help haul very often.

Just to add some info I've found: Adams makes a trail a bike tandem. They also make a baby seat specifically to attach to a trail a bike. I found out that it is very hard if not impossible to haul the tandem unless you weigh enough more than the load you're trying to haul. Also, a bike shop near me that thinks highly of Adams trail a bike singles, doesn't think the tandem is very stable.

:iagree: I know many people who've biked with this configuration. I wouldn't trust a child UNDER 5 on a trail a bike unless they ride independently without training wheels for extended periods. Especially a kid that might have a tendency to fall asleep in a car.

We have had both the trail a bike and a trailer, but I've never had reason to attach both to my bike. My 8 year old can still ride the trail a bike.

:iagree: I know many people who've biked with this configuration. I wouldn't trust a child UNDER 5 on a trail a bike unless they ride independently without training wheels for extended periods. Especially a kid that might have a tendency to fall asleep in a car.

We have had both the trail a bike and a trailer, but I've never had reason to attach both to my bike. My 8 year old can still ride the trail a bike.

Glad to hear your 8yo can still ride it. I think my 5yo would be fine on one. I'm really really leaning towards a Burley Piccolo trailer bike. The hitch is apparently much more stable than the ones that attach to the seat post. It's $$$, but if we can use it until the just turned 3yo is 8, it will be worth it. I'm just not finding a used one anywhere in the area. Also, Burley is now selling a conversion kit that turns the trailer bike into a regular bike. Which will extend its usefulness even more. I'm going to call a few more used shops and try craigslist a bit longer. But I may just bite the bullet. And if the train doesn't work for us, I think we'd still get some use out of it now, and more when the little guy is big enough to use it.

Just to add some info I've found: Adams makes a trail a bike tandem. They also make a baby seat specifically to attach to a trail a bike. I found out that it is very hard if not impossible to haul the tandem unless you weigh enough more than the load you're trying to haul. Also, a bike shop near me that thinks highly of Adams trail a bike singles, doesn't think the tandem is very stable.

I wouldn't do this.

If you really, really want to ride with two children in a safe way, invest in a tandem bike and pull your trailer. It's expensive, and safe. The tandem bikes can have the back seat fit even 4 year old children. Friends of ours have two tandems which they shipped to Europe and biked around France. Their children were 4 and 8 at the time. This family also has a quad, so the whole family can bike together. Big bucks, but that is their passion.

Other options are just unsafe.

I wouldn't do this.

If you really, really want to ride with two children in a safe way, invest in a tandem bike and pull your trailer. It's expensive, and safe. The tandem bikes can have the back seat fit even 4 year old children. Friends of ours have two tandems which they shipped to Europe and biked around France. Their children were 4 and 8 at the time. This family also has a quad, so the whole family can bike together. Big bucks, but that is their passion.

Other options are just unsafe.

I'm definitely not doing the tandem trailer. Don't think it's physically possible for me. Do you think a single trailer is unsafe too? Not as part of a train - just adult bike and trailer.