Menu

Number of fiction books a year requirement

mom31257

What number of fiction books a year would you require for a boy who rarely finds a fiction book he likes? Ds really doesn't enjoy fiction, even what I would think is interesting to him. I think he doesn't like all the set-up in a book to establish character, setting, etc., and he just wants to get to the action of the story. I will be leading a book club for my homeschool group this year, and we will read 6 books, 3 each semester. I will be doing SOTW Volume 2 with him this year, and I'll add historical fiction sometimes, too.

At age 9, Zero if he were reading non-fiction instead. I don't think authors of fiction expect it to be force fed to unwilling readers, but rather hope to delight willing ones. I don't think an unwilling reader of fiction will get much out of it.

My almost 22 yo did not enjoy reading fiction as a child. She had several dictionary/encyclopedia type books (dog, horse, human anatomy, etc) worn to the bone, partially memorized and carried a dictionary and thesarus with her all.the.time. (in fact 2 1/2 yrs ago, after we were burned out of our house, one of her first purchases was pocket dictionary and thesaurus).

We did have a read-aloud going all the time, and she listened to books on tape, so she was hearing fiction, just not reading it herself. She still doesn't really enjoy fiction- but she LOVES theology/philosophy, etc.

I think 6 books a year is fine... but I wouldn't force it on him. Are you going to read aloud while he plays legos or something?

My youngest son was not able to empathize with fictional characters. He was able to empathize with the biographies of famous men as children, though. I remember being up on his top bunk reading to him, when he had a migraine headache because school was so stressful to him. He said to me, "Mommy these boys are just like me!".

He also read a lot of encyclopedias, because he found them to be the least biased non-fiction. Textbooks drove him crazy. He always complained about textbook writers by their name. Multiple choice worksheets and tests--forget it! According to him there were no correct answers and he would lecture me on things I just didn't care about or even want to know. I kinda like being stupid sometimes and just rehash the same myths I learned.