Menu

I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable, but how do I do it?

Catchy title, huh? I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of all of my books. I have SO MANY books! I am sick of them!

I buy new every year for my boys, and now my youngest is going into 7th grade. I've changed history programs from Tapestry of Grace to Bibliplan. If you don't already know, TOG requires something like 800 :). Books per year and I'm just drowning.

I've got stuff posted for sale on the swap board in lots, but I'm sure they are too big, cost too much and aren't selling. Is there any way to recoup any money. Or do I just chalk it up as a loss and move on?

Anyway, I want to get rid of 3 bookcases worth of books. You guys are the only ones I know who would find any value in them. What do I do?

Shipping books is getting so expensive that I would only sell them as lots (like: here is a box lot of the books you will need for X year).

Another idea is to post a message to your local homeschool group and advertise a window of time one day for people to come and see what you've got (a sort of mini homeschool yard sale).

Do what I do and make book lots of your TOG books and make the price such a good deal that any TOG'er in need wouldn't pass them up. I am still looking for Year 3 books for UG & Rhetoric -- though I have unit 1 pretty well covered.

I would also consider boxing (or bagging) them by unit, writing up descriptions on your computer for easy access and putting them in a storage spot that is easy for you to access. Keep posting them for sale. Some TOG'ers buy all throughout the year and buy by the unit to cut costs, so you may end up selling throughout the year.

Son't give up. It took me a while to sell things I posted this summer, but with some patience and effort to find the right price, most of my items finally sold.

Do you have any homeschool stores in your area? Ours has a used consignment section.

Another thought is to reach out to anyone you know who sells on Ebay or on other book sites. Maybe you can strike a deal that you provide the books, they do the labor and you split the profits.

Do you have any local homeschooling groups which run sales? Often September is a great time for these.

Do you belong to any local homeschooling Yahoo groups or FB groups or what-have-you? Post your book lists there.

If certain books aren't selling, bring them to your co-op or other homeschooling gathering and establish a "free give away" table. Outgrown clothes and other items can also be swapped in this way. It's nice to have a regular place where such things can find a new home - just add stuff to your pile and take the pile when you head out to co-op. What doesn't go, can be donated on your way home.

And it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Cull the obvious things first, then take another pass, and so on.