Menu

WWYD about this kid?

I have a dd who is borderline in age, but basically I'm considering her a senior. The trouble is, she has barely eeked through Algebra I, and will have to do Geometry AND another math her senior year.

In addition, she hasn't read much literature. She does well in grammar, but she doesn't write much. However, we are planning to do SWI-C this fall so that should get her skill up in that area.

She has done good with her science programs, and fine in history (though I know we haven't covered enough American History for sure).

Here's the deal - she is planning on Cosmetology school. Do I just squeeze the MUST-HAVES in this year, let her graduate and move on, or keep her home another year?

Opinions?!?

unless your state requires geometry. I just think as cosmetologies this would be the math that would benefit her the most. This would help her in the future if she chose to start her own shop

I say this as someone who didn't go to college till 21. I spend my high school years going to a tech school and learning business and typing. I am a nurse but have benefited greatly from my technical skills. I didn't take algebra or other college prep class during my high school years.

I have a dd who is borderline in age, but basically I'm considering her a senior. The trouble is, she has barely eeked through Algebra I, and will have to do Geometry AND another math her senior year.

In addition, she hasn't read much literature. She does well in grammar, but she doesn't write much. However, we are planning to do SWI-C this fall so that should get her skill up in that area.

She has done good with her science programs, and fine in history (though I know we haven't covered enough American History for sure).

Here's the deal - she is planning on Cosmetology school. Do I just squeeze the MUST-HAVES in this year, let her graduate and move on, or keep her home another year?

Opinions?!?

I would have her do whatever it is she needs to do to get into cosmetology school for math. I second the suggestion on business math. I think that's a great idea. I would absolutely not keep her homeschooling another year unless you are all in agreement on it. If she's required to do two maths, I might have her do one over next summer and one during the school year.

Anita

When we lived in AZ there was a public tech school that had a cosmetology school with it... basically kids graduated from highschool with their cosmetology license. Does she need to finish highschool to start cosmetology? Perhaps you can find a part time school that she could start now and call this her junior year. That would give you two years to work through the rest of her academics without overloading her.

The great thing about pursuing career training and academics at the same time (if it can be done) is you could teach her the skills of lifelong learning and how to balance her life. She doesn't have to leave behind the wonderful world of literature, writing, history, etc just because she's entering the working world.